2003 heat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madelooney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have yet another issue with my 2003 Dodge RAM 1500. The other day I was driving home from work, when I noticed the thermostat was fluxulating while driving, from normal to hot, then back and forth the entire drive. First thing I wrought was the thermostat. Bought and installed a new one. I also checked the fan clutch, which seem good, I replaced the rad cap as well. After all this replacement yesterday, its doing the same exact issue. After the test drive last night both the top and bottom hoses were hot to touch. Forget to mention, I also discovered during all this I have no heat just warm air. I'm open to suggestions. Do I need to flush the heater core, then start all over? Could i have a clogged radioator?, should I go stead and change out the fan clutch? In very limited on funds (disability check) and can only replace one item at a time each month. Truck is very import meant to me, it's the only way to get to my weekly doctor appointments. I thank you for your help. God Bless, and God Bless America.
~Michael

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Mine was doing that when the head gasket was blown. Also the Hemi engines take a bit of work to bleed air out of the coolant system after a thermostat change. I think it’s best to park it up hill to help the air rise to the top and leave the cap off the reservoir for a bit. When it was overheating the heater wasn’t working because it uses the hot coolant to circulate the heater core. That was my experience, hope it’s not that bad

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If your coolant isn't circulating it could be a clogged radiator but I think more likely the water pump is going out.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely could be the water pump going out. I doubt it's the radiator as you said the upper and lower hoses are the same temp when running. Unfortunately above is also right that it could be a head gasket. How does your oil look?

For trouble shooting I always start with the easiest and least expensive option first and go from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk