2003 Ram 1500 Headlight Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an issue with the left headlight low beam. When the headlight switch is turned on my left low beam doesn't come on. If I switch the high beams on and off, the left low beam comes on. Looking at the wiring diagram, it refers to a front control module. Where is that fcm located? Since it comes on after toggling the switch, leads me to think it is a relay problem. I've only had the truck for a week and it's my first Dodge vehicle. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

tak1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mike, there's a control 'module' behind the fuse box inside the fender under the hood. I had a similar issue with mine. Here's how I solved it: Remove the fuse box, and then take the module off. Clean out the contacts with some spray electrical contact cleaner. Make sure there is no corrosion on the male pins. I then used a liberal amount of dielectric grease in the connection as I put it back together. Good luck...

OP
OP
M

Mike2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Makes sense it's a connection issue.

OP
OP
M

Mike2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It finally warmed up enough to work outside. Traced down the headlight wires and found my truck has Xenon 35 Watt HID lights. Checked all the connections and found corrosion. Went to work cleaning and putting dielectric grease on them. One was so bad on the left ignitor had to take the connector apart to clean. Still had an issue with the left so I swapped the l & r ignitors, it worked. I went ahead and ordered a 55 watt kit, 6K color low and high beam because the low beam now is probably in the 8K, blue color, not a fan of that.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have projectors? 55 watt hids are insanely bright and without projectors youre gonna be flashed pretty much non stop.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have projectors? 55 watt hids are insanely bright and without projectors youre gonna be flashed pretty much non stop.

55 watt hids are insanely bright EVEN WITH projectors... I have 35w with projectors. My audi also comes with 35w from the factory.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
55 watt hids are insanely bright EVEN WITH projectors... I have 35w with projectors. My audi also comes with 35w from the factory.

Yeah even with projectors they are still stupid bright. I had 55w 6000k hids in my factory projectors in my g8. Waaay too bright.

OP
OP
M

Mike2017

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did get the kit and probably won't install it. From what I've read they're not legal if the vehicle didn't come with them from the factory. I'll probably keep the 35 watt low beam xenon/high beam halogen for now. The truck just passed inspection here in WV. If the problem resurfaces, I'll probably go back to halogen bulbs. Thanks for the input.