2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 4x2 shows [R] selected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewborice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so my truck has been sitting for about a year now and last month I went to start it started right up good the other day I went to start it and it wouldn’t start like the starter was out it said it was in reverse so I went to move it in park but it was in park and when I went to netrual to try to start it all the gear PDNR21 got selected and it won’t even turn over I was told it could be the netrual safety switch / range sensor rock auto says it’s the same sensor for both about $20 but where it it located idk what transmission I have I know my truck is a automatic with the 4.7 and it’s 2wd

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Its along the steering collium under the dash.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spend the best money you can spend is get you a Haynes repair manual.It will help you time and time again and save you some bucks.When I buy a car or truck or motorcycle I buy a repair book to have as reference especially when you are stumped.

OP
OP
D

Drewborice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spend the best money you can spend is get you a Haynes repair manual.It will help you time and time again and save you some bucks.When I buy a car or truck or motorcycle I buy a repair book to have as reference especially when you are stumped.
THat was not in the Haynes repair manual I have for it

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to pages 7b-2 and 7b-3 Look on shift cable Adjust and replace I had to replace my whole cable last year and it broke at the collum .Read real close and it may help you if not you may have to put it in the shop.Maybe someone in the forum can help you with your problem.I think if you unplug the brake shift lock that might let you be able to start and shift your gears.Also jack the rear wheels up and see it they are free wheeling if so its in a gear if you cannot spin them you are in park .The cable unhook it from the transmission and see if you move that leaver will let see if its in park or in gear your book will tell you.I hope this will help you I'm no transmission man never been my cup of tea.

Last edited: