2005 1500 4 wheel drive - transfer case issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric CDA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I have a 2005 1500 with a 5.7 and have been having some 4x4 issues. When in 4H the truck will bind up in reverse and in a turn of any kind so much so that I have to give it a lot of throttle to move in reverse and it will just push straight on snow/ice in a turn at slow speeds. It seems to be ok in a straight line and even at freeway speeds. It just seems to be getting worse every winter (only time we use 4x4). CV axles look fine, no oil or grease leaks or bearing noises.

I had the rear-end rebuilt a few years back as there was a recall due to a loose pinion nut. Could new gears in the rear be ever so slightly off compared to the worn gears in the front an be causing binding in 4x4?

The 4x4 light on the instrument panel quit working too. I was playing around with it last night in the garage and I noticed the transfer case will not shift into N or 4L as well. It sounds like there is a sequence of things that needs to happen for it to shift into 4L and I will try that again tonight.

Also one more question. I am getting cupping on the inside and outside of the front tires. Is this shocks or ball joints/tie rods, etc or both? To my knowledge neither have ever been replaced. Truck has 130K. I appreciate the help!!