2008 Mega cab, 2.5 level and 35's now shakes in front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the title says, added the 35's then a little later added the level kit and got a pretty good shake, not quite death wobble but seems like it could go there as time goes on. Changed the steering stabilizer with no difference.

Just found out about a steering linkage upgrade, is this a must? Need help, hate having this wonderful truck and being afraid to drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grand1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Like the title says, added the 35's then a little later added the level kit and got a pretty good shake, not quite death wobble but seems like it could go there as time goes on. Changed the steering stabilizer with no difference.

Just found out about a steering linkage upgrade, is this a must? Need help, hate having this wonderful truck and being afraid to drive it.

was it coil spacers or torsion keys

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Steering stabilizer is a cover up not a fix. You probably need an adjustable track bar at the minimum to recenter your axle and if you have worn steering parts then yes replace those

OP
OP
E

EastNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steering stabilizer is a cover up not a fix. You probably need an adjustable track bar at the minimum to recenter your axle and if you have worn steering parts then yes replace those

How do I check those? Not much of a suspension guy.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do a dry steering test. Do a google search and it'll yield tons of videos. Most likely all you'll need is an adjustable track bar to recenter your axle, especially if it's just a wobble not death wobble it'd leave me to believe your steering components are good but doesn't hurt to check. You'll need a friend to do dry steering test. Basically one person is behind the wheel, with the tires on the ground and slowing turn the steering wheel back and forth. Look for abnormal movement in the tie rods ends, normal rotation is fine you'll want to see slop back and forth for this.

OP
OP
E

EastNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I think I have decided to replace the tie rod ends balk joints and the sway bar connect ions, but rock auto has a thousand of them, how do I know which ones will fit my stock pre upgrade suspension?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd get an adjustable track bar before replacing those parts unless you know for sure they're bad.
For suspension and steering I use nothing but Moog. They held up on my Jeeps well after lots of abuse.

OP
OP
E

EastNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not quite sure what an adjustable track bar is. If I get it, and it doesn't help, can it stay on if I change the ball joints and tie rod ends?

Jamesq87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not quite sure what an adjustable track bar is. If I get it, and it doesn't help, can it stay on if I change the ball joints and tie rod ends?

It's an adjustable length track bar. Factory is a preset length.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
2006 Ram 1500 SLT Megacab
5.7/auto/4wd
2" lift,33's,minor exhaust tweak. (For now)

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The track bar is what keeps the axle from moving side to side as it's turned and also keeps the axle centered. The factory one is fixed meaning it can't be adjusted. As you raise or lift the truck via a suspension lift or level, because its fixed the distance from the point on axle and point on frame is increased causing the track bar to pull the axle to the drivers side slightly. This will cause your wobble scenario. An adjustable track bar will allow you to increase the length of the track bar compared to the factory one, recentering the axle and hopefully eliminating your wobble. If you still need to replace wear items the track bar can and should stay.

OP
OP
E

EastNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
***UPDATE***

Only put about 500 miles on the truck since the level/tires. Took it back to the shop that mounted/balanced them and said what problems I was having and wanted to start off with an alignment. They called me back and said they couldn't do the alignment because the ball joints were shot.

Replaced both sides upper and lower. Rode some what better but still had the vibrations. Took it back and they redid the balancing and eliminated about 1/2 the weight off each wheel and it now cruises beautifully at 70!

Problem solved till something else wears out I guess.