2012 4x4 transfer case help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I just bought my used 2012 RAM 2500 Diesel Long Bed Crew Cab 4x4 a few months back and am still learning some of the wonderful features that the totally computerized system provide for me (sarcasm intended)...

Sooo... The other day at work I started to stick the truck in some loose sand. I still have street tires on it so I stopped digging holes, dropped the transfer case into 4x4 Low and started to ease out the way I came in... The "4x4 Low" light went out and a big honkin' "SERV 4x4" lit up... OK, so I then snatch the transfer case back into 4x4 High and extracted myself from the dirt... The 4x4 seems to be working OK in High but faults out every time I put it into Low.

The truck just rolled 150,000 last week and is due for service. I don't have a service record for the truck so am planning on just having the dealer do a baseline "service everything" kinda job. Is this "SERV 4X4" just because service is due or is this something I should take out another bank loan after I have the dealer look at it??

Thanks everyone for making this a really great place to see out help!

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Probably a bad transfer case motor.. or faulty solenoid.. either way it will need to be replaced

Easy to do.. 200$ or so in parts

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which transfer case do you have?
Do you have the dial shifter, or lever on the floor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hi Muddy,

Sorry, have been offline for a few months... I have the floor shifter and the NV271 transfer case. I haven't had a chance to revisit this problem yet but am getting ready to spend some quality time with my truck and shop.

Thanks!