2013 Cruise Control Switch Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Koelker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello, this is my first post and I've just now purchased a new to me 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 5.7L Hemi. So far I'm loving this truck. Plenty of power and space. The previous owner babied it and it only has 50000 miles on it.

I do have a problem though that I'm trying to figure out. The cruise control doesn't appear to want to work for me. I've read through most of the forum posts in relation to cruise and I've tried everything that I could easily do. The light for cruise comes on when starting the vehicle but will not appear when pressing the buttons on the steering wheel. I've tried the crazy order of hitting the buttons or multiple buttons at the same time. Tried rotating the wheel and it still won't come on. Parking brake is disengaged as well.

I'm thinking it's the Cruise Control Switch that everyone keeps talking about. I'm trying to find a video or write-up of someone whose done this that actually shows the process? I found videos on older style steering wheels for Dodge but not for a 4th gen in which they show the actual process. Does anyone recall the steps to replace that switch or a video or pictures that show it? I'd like to attempt it myself first but would like to see someone doing some of it or all of it first.

Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate it.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently bought a used 2014 Ram 1500. I was having the same issue. I tried all the tricks people said online but nothing worked for me. A guy here said he smacked the back side of the steering wheel (behind the switch) with his hand and his worked ever since. I did the same and it has worked for me ever since. I did buy a new switch but it is still sitting in the box uninstalled waiting for it to fail again. I kinda think that the issue might be in the plug not the switch but that is just a guess.

OP
OP
J

J Koelker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely give it a shot. I did read that in one of the posts for sure. Just didn't do it for fear of causing additional damage.

I've now realized I put this discussion in the 3rd gen forum as well. My bad. Not sure if I or someone can move it to the 4th gen forum.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Contact a Mod and they can move it for you. BTW, The reason I think it may be the plug and not the switch it because I read where people have replaced the switch multiple times. It seems to me that it worked after the plug was messed with and the switch wasn`t the problem but who knows? Nobody seems to have a definite answer on this one.

scoot33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you guys get the switch changed out? I did mine yesterday. 2013

OP
OP
J

J Koelker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I did get the switch changed out and it didn't fix mine. They ended up having to replace the wiring harness connected to the switch to correct it. Man it's nice to have cruise control.