2013+ Headunit upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello All,
I have a 2014 ram 3500 with the 5.0 U connect radio. I have decided I am going to build up my sound system and I need some help on a head unit upgrade. I would like to put in a double din touch screen headunit. My biggest question is how can I get a headunit to fit nicely into the dash? I would like it to look factory. Is there some sort of dash bezel attachment you guys used? Could you post pics of your upgraded headunits and the parts you needed to make it fit well? Also, if you could let me know if you have been happy with the deck you picked that would be great. I am looking to keep factory steering wheel controls, add a backup camera to the deck and find a deck that is Sirius radio compatible.
Thank you for the help!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Check out the DIY section. If you want it to look factory you can upgrade with the 8.4 factory radio. Throw the plug and play Kickers in and you won't be disappointed (or broke)...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Canuck12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I saw a lot of articles on upgrading from the 5.0 to the 8.4 on the DIY section but not anything about a Double din on a 2013+. I played with the idea of the 8.4 upgrade but I could not find a reasonably priced 8.4 for sale. I think it will cheaper and more useful to upgrade to an aftermarket option.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
although you may save money you may lose the function of your controls and your ability to adjust your settings. the only way you would be able to adjust your settings would be to reinstall the 5.0 and then uninstall.
I went with the 8.4an and am more than pleased. yes i May have paid more but it is factory and everything was plug and play with the ease of installing front, rear and side cameras, thanks to lockpic version 2.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I saw a lot of articles on upgrading from the 5.0 to the 8.4 on the DIY section but not anything about a Double din on a 2013+. I played with the idea of the 8.4 upgrade but I could not find a reasonably priced 8.4 for sale. I think it will cheaper and more useful to upgrade to an aftermarket option.
Fair enough...If you're patient and persistent, you can one find one cheap. I paid $275 thanks to a member on another forum (he paid $225). Another member got all the parts needed and a full center console for $350 (minus the custom harness).

I steer people towards this option because I was quoted over $3000 from two separate installers. This will cost you much less for a whole system.

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually there is a few after market stereo's that you can use your factory settings on as long as you get a idatalink maestro ads mph module I'm thinking about doing it because I too want to keep my factory settings in the stereo Crutchfield is one of a few company's that carry them

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Canuck12,

Then yiou didn't read my install. If the dash is the same and the case on the 5.0 is the same as the 3.0 you will have to cut the brace in the dash to get the double din in there. Also Crutchfield was more expensive BUT they sent me everything I needed to do a factory looking install.
Here is a pic of my Kenwood DNX570HD installed.

picture.php

picture.php

Here is what it started as,
picture.php

Good luck with the install, and have a great day,

preachp

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think you are conflating factory settings with factory controls. There are vehicle specific settings that can only be accessed via uconnect radios.

The aftermarket modules are interfaces to maintain factory steering wheel inputs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what im told and what I have read on there website you can access all the uconnect settings that are in the stock head unit not just the steering wheel with this idatalink maestro module now only certain aftermarket stereos will work

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
From what im told and what I have read on there website you can access all the uconnect settings that are in the stock head unit not just the steering wheel with this idatalink maestro module now only certain aftermarket stereos will work
Interesting, you're gonna have to give us some specifics if you get it to work (with pictures please)

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The Alpine X009-Ram head unit uses the I-data link and actually adds to the information and settings available from the uconnect radios. Including displaying many of the graphic features displayed in the premium evic such as tire pressure etc.

I know the radio is crazy exspensive but this stuff is out there. Just google it

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Kenwoods are the best bet for the Maestro stuff. They are pretty cool. You can clear check engine lights, see OBDII codes, tire pressure, it will show the back up sensors if you have them, shoot your radio/nav info into the evic, shows what doors are open, as well as retain the factory BT mic.

Not specific for our trucks but those units on the new Mustangs will also do all the AC controls and seat heater controls through the radio.