2013 OEM brake controller help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I Have a 13 QC 1500 5.7 outdoorsman with factory tow package. Truck has the 7 inch premium evic and came with 8.4A radio, but I upgraded radio to a 2015 8.4AN from a RAM. I bought the factory brake controller, installed and went to local Ram dealer to flash the code in today for the truck to recognize it. So after I got in my truck I didn't see anything show on the evic, nothing related to trailer, if I squeeze controller switch or hit the - or + still nothing happens. So I told service dept and a older guy came out and said, should show. So the person helping Me went to the tech, tech said he tested controller with a trailer simulator hooked up and showed its working. So I got home, hooked the 7 pin up to my trailer, still nothing in evic to adjust or see trailer is connected. Not sure what's going on, seems the guy didn't flash it correct. Also is a icon supposed to show on the 8.4 radio, I don't see a trailer icon there either. I was using a p3 controller and worked great, just wanted the better placement of switch and no knee hitting. Any info is helpful so I can go back to dealer to fix this. You would think a 2013 truck being its 2018 now, the techs would know something as simple as flashing a brake controller. Everyone in service dept gave me different answers. Thanks.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Today took truck back and they had to re flash it 3 times, but now shows on my evic display, but only option I see available is light electric. Was wondering if I should have icon on my 8.4 radio, I seen some have that on radio. Will I need to install firmware again on my 8.4 or was that a option in newer trucks. I am using a 2015 8.4an radio from a Ram in my 2013 that came stock with the 8.4a.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't recall seeing anything about the brake controller on the radio display of my '15 1500 Laramie. Lots of info available on the EVIC though.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I see photos online of the 8.4 with 4 trailer setting, light and heavy etc. I don't have anything under settings after the flash. On the EVIC, I see light electric and the - and + #s but nothing else. I really should be fine since my trailer is light electric and I only tow one with brakes, but would be nice to be able to change settings later if needed.

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see photos online of the 8.4 with 4 trailer setting, light and heavy etc. I don't have anything under settings after the flash. On the EVIC, I see light electric and the - and + #s but nothing else. I really should be fine since my trailer is light electric and I only tow one with brakes, but would be nice to be able to change settings later if needed.
I've got a 2013 qc with the 7" cluster display that I upgraded the radio to a 2014 8.4 w nav. I've looked into doing the same thing and watched a few you tube videos. The only place you'll see a trailer display for towing is in the cluster. if it's working properly you'll be able to set it up for two different trailers and set the settings. when you plug one in just choose which trailer you have a or b and your brake settings will be saved. hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Well it showed trailer 1 on cluster and + and minus, no way to select trailer 2 etc. Also I seen photos online with the trailer setup on the 8.4 screen so you can select light electric or heavy and save pre sets for 4 trailers. Odd thing is it never says No Trailer Connected when looking at evic like I have seen on other trucks.

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Here is a photo of why I was asking.

Screenshot_20180104-001548.png

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
SOLVED issue! It does add a trailer section on the 8.4 radio under settings. Here is how you do it. I already had a usb stick with the latest radio update already. Decided since I just had trailer brake flashed to show in evic maybe I needed to install the radio update. I stuck my usb stick in loaded with the latest update, nothing happened, no option to install. So I pulled usb stick out and said update failed. So thought that was odd, I put usb stick in again, this time nothing came up again but I waited, after 5 minutes a pop up said update complete. I was thinking what update completed, so I looked under settings and seen trailer with 4 trailer options, light, heavy etc. So all the software on usb stick did was install the trailer settings under settings without having to do a full firmware again. Kinda nice!

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
The only thing I notice now is the evic display never shows (trailer not connected) like I have seen on others evic photos.

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it showed trailer 1 on cluster and + and minus, no way to select trailer 2 etc. Also I seen photos online with the trailer setup on the 8.4 screen so you can select light electric or heavy and save pre sets for 4 trailers. Odd thing is it never says No Trailer Connected when looking at evic like I have seen on other trucks.
Does your radio have up to date software.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Yes, its on the latest software 17.*** , may need to hook up trailer and disconnect trailer to see the trailer not connected. Nice thing about the 8.4 radio, once the truck is flashed for the trailer brake it didn't need a full install of the firmware on radio, firmware found the added flash for brake and only updated that. So I didn't have to do anything except leave in usb stick until I seen a install completed warning come up. Dealer tech had to flash the evic 4 times for it to show, but finally fixed it. At first was worried because I bought a used controller box for $50 on ebay and new switch for $25 and thought the controller might be bad.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The only thing I notice now is the evic display never shows (trailer not connected) like I have seen on others evic photos.
With the truck running, connect the trailer (and activate the brakes once for good measure), then disconnect the trailer wiring. The trailer disconnected message should stay on till you re-connect or shut the truck off.
The truck has to "see" the electric trailer brakes for this to work. You may have a problem with your trailer brakes if the above doesn't work.