2014 1500 4WD Differential Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fletch125

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L
Figured I'd do a quick write up for servicing the front and rear diffs. It's similar between all model year 1500's but fluids may vary so check your manual.

Front:

Buy 2 quarts of 75W-85 gear oil. You'll need about 1.5qts total. -85 is hard to find, in fact the only place I know that sells it is the dealer. I chose 75W-90 which is used in other model year 1500s and many have used it with no issue.

Oreillys sells a hand pumper which attatches directly to the quart sized bottles, for $9. Save yourself the headache and buy it!

There are two plus located on the front of the diff. They use an 8mm Allen head socket. I suggest you drive the truck around to warm up the fluid.

Drain and reinstall the lower plug. Fill the fluid until it begins to come out of the fill port. Allow it to overflow and then cap when it stops.

Rear:

The rear fill plug is a rubber cap. Pry it off carefully. Do this before you drain the fluid.

The drain port is a 14mm Allen head. Same process as the front.

I used synthetic 75w-140 and needed 2.5 quarts to refill. You'll also need 8oz of friction modifier for limited slip differentials.

Fill the diff with the friction modifier first so you don't end up losing it all due to overflow.

I didn't take any pics but hopefully this will at least give you the tools and quantities needed!

All said and done i spent about $90 and 30 mins to do the whole job. Rear diff fluid was clean with no metal shavings. Front diff was pretty black. Truck has 65k on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great job ! Any pics ?

I read a post once that the dealer quoted a guy $350 for doing just the differentials !! Crazy .

I did mine a while back , supper simple job for.even a non mechanic , I highly recommend everyone doing this themselves !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel
Engine
Figured I'd do a quick write up for servicing the front and rear diffs. It's similar between all model year 1500's but fluids may vary so check your manual.

Front:

Buy 2 quarts of 75W-85 gear oil. You'll need about 1.5qts total. -85 is hard to find, in fact the only place I know that sells it is the dealer. I chose 75W-90 which is used in other model year 1500s and many have used it with no issue.

Oreillys sells a hand pumper which attatches directly to the quart sized bottles, for $9. Save yourself the headache and buy it!

There are two plus located on the front of the diff. They use an 8mm Allen head socket. I suggest you drive the truck around to warm up the fluid.

Drain and reinstall the lower plug. Fill the fluid until it begins to come out of the fill port. Allow it to overflow and then cap when it stops.

Rear:

The rear fill plug is a rubber cap. Pry it off carefully. Do this before you drain the fluid.

The drain port is a 14mm Allen head. Same process as the front.

I used synthetic 75w-140 and needed 2.5 quarts to refill. You'll also need 8oz of friction modifier for limited slip differentials.

Fill the diff with the friction modifier first so you don't end up losing it all due to overflow.

I didn't take any pics but hopefully this will at least give you the tools and quantities needed!

All said and done i spent about $90 and 30 mins to do the whole job. Rear diff fluid was clean with no metal shavings. Front diff was pretty black. Truck has 65k on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Same for 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xeriminox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Desert Rat 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When using synthetic gear oil for limited slip differentials, is use of friction modifier necessary?

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is GL-5 rated....NO. No friction modifier needed.