2014 1500 5.7 2WD Lonestar towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CiggyByrns

US Navy Retired IYAOYAS
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I just bought a bread route and will be pulling a trailer daily. The trailer is 3,200 lbs. empty. Its a 8.5x20 5200 tandem axle. I need to beef up the springs in the back. I don't have leaf springs, only the coils. Any suggestions?

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can vouch for those AirLift 1000 bags. They helped me greatly when pulling my stock car to the track on my car hauler.

With trailer (2350), car (2950) and fuel/ tools/ pits stuff (300)...

I had maybe 1-2" drop in the back and the ride wasn't too rough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Airlift bags are good, I would look at the 5000 series as they are much heavier duty, especially towing daily like you are proposing.

That's a pretty big trailer (especially loaded) for your 1500 to tow daily. You'll be working her hard. You'll have plenty of power but you're working with a light duty 1/2 ton. Houston traffic...

I'd be looking for a 2500 Cummins or Gas for daily towing that around Houston.

If money is an issue right now, upgrade your 1500 with the following:

-Airbags
-LT Tires
-Bilstein Shocks
-Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
-Weight Distributing Hitch

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
3200# isn't ****. Depends on his loaded weight whether he'll need much more than the bags. If his loaded weight isn't over 5000# I wouldn't worry about the rear sway bar. I tow a 25' OAL bass boat weighing close to 5000# and don't even air up the bags. WDH? Not even considered.

All depends on the total load.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
3200# isn't ****. Depends on his loaded weight whether he'll need much more than the bags. If his loaded weight isn't over 5000# I wouldn't worry about the rear sway bar. I tow a 25' OAL bass boat weighing close to 5000# and don't even air up the bags. WDH? Not even considered.

All depends on the total load.

LOL. Ok let's leave the recommendations to you, the obvious expert.

A 8' x 20' tandem axle trailer lugged DAILY with a 1500 (in Houston no less), I think the op said equipped with 5200 lb axles. So I'm thinking 7k+ payload on the trailer. Big difference pulling a nice aerodynamic bass boat. Motor in the back, minimal tongue weight.

Yup 1k air bags and call er good!:grd:

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If these 1/2 ton trucks had leaf springs you could probably get away with not having to do anything.

If your constantly towing I would consider the rear shocks and sway bar just for stabilization

...the bags would be a must

I stay in Houston as well and with these freeways and roads constantly under construction, you need stabilization when you hit those rough, tight and twisty spots.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If these 1/2 ton trucks had leaf springs you could probably get away with not having to do anything.

If your constantly towing I would consider the rear shocks and sway bar just for stabilization

...the bags would be a must

I stay in Houston as well and with these freeways and roads constantly under construction, you need stabilization when you hit those rough, tight and twisty spots.

Ram specs the 1500 coils very soft (for best in class ride). My 3/4 ton coils are beef. Mulit-link coils are more stable than leaf springs.

I agree, he'll likely have to do an emergency lane change/braking maneuver or two on the daily, especially during rush hour...

I wonder if the OP will post back with more details on the Trailer, Loads and Route?

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Tuff truck makes rear coils that help these trucks alot. A 8.5x20 is a big trailer reguardless of the load for a half to daily pulling especially in traffic. Make sure the brakes are in good shape on your truck and trailer. I would personally use WDH, tuff truck coils and tires. Best solution if you can swing it is a 2500. In north Texas all I see is 2500s on bread routes.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
The inexpensive AirLift bags work great, my camper weighs about 6000 LBS and it sits level with 25 LBS of air in the bags, also makes the truck steer better..

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeap, Tuff truck coils, I have the 1211s which are 50% over stock, I also have Timber Grove air bags which are one of the best bags made for our trucks and I am going to put on Hellwig heavy duty sway bars front and back along with 10ply tires.
I am doing this to haul my 7k camper and anything else I need to haul..lol
These 1500 are not built to haul **** from the factory so you need to modify them to fit your needs. jmo

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Tuff truck makes rear coils that help these trucks alot. A 8.5x20 is a big trailer reguardless of the load for a half to daily pulling especially in traffic. Make sure the brakes are in good shape on your truck and trailer. I would personally use WDH, tuff truck coils and tires. Best solution if you can swing it is a 2500. In north Texas all I see is 2500s on bread routes.

This is good advice, as was HD's. North of 5k in a trailer of that size, WDH with built in sway control and some sort of electric brake control are musts! Don't chance your safety and others on the road. Do it right and you'll be glad you did, especially if things go bad someday good luck