2014 gooseneck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke Nickelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 14 ram 1500 with the hemi of course. So it has a gooseneck hitch in the bed with power plug and all. Since this seems to be a factory install does this mean my rear suspension is upgraded to accomodate heavier loads?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
It wasn’t a factory install. You would have to inspect the rear to see if the previous owner upgraded it with airbags or springs or an aftermarket swaybar etc.

I have a turnover ball in mine with rubber axle to frame bags and E load tires. But even with relocating my truck spare to the trailer & removing the tailgate I still don’t like to put a lot of weight on it. Its still a half ton axle only rated for 3,900 pounds. I’ve seen a guy I worked with scale his 4th gen 1500 with 4,500 & 4,700 pounds on the drive axle & never have a problem but that is more than I would trust putting on it.

Like this;

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home/

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No. The 1500 is a light duty truck. It is not designed to carry heavy loads typical of a gooseneck application. It is very much NOT a factory option. If you plan to use it, be very mindful of your payload rating (should be on the yellow sticker on your drivers B pillar and try your best not to exceed that number. Gooseneck towing usually puts 20-25% of the trailer weight on the pin. Assuming you have 1500 lbs of payload, that means that have a maximum gooseneck trailering ability of 6000-7500 lbs. When I say maximum, that means with zero passengers and zero additional weight in the truck.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
You can use the web or gps locator I linked as it’s quick & easy. Cat has scales within 45 minutes of most people in metro areas. Much more accurate & safe if you plan to use it for either a GN trailer or with an Andersen adapter to tow a 5th wheel to use a scale than to make weight guesstimates toward a payload sticker number or even your actual GVWR.

Oops that was on another thread. Here you go.

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-apps/

OP
OP
L

Luke Nickelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks fellas was just curious, i wont be hauling anything other than some materials or demo to the dump

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It's pretty common here in texas to see 1500s pulling small goose neck horse/livestock trailers. The 1500 as others have stated designed to handle a lot of weight in the bed.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yeah. I see 16’ and 14’ gooseneck stock trailers and flatbeds all the time. I just went to a 2500 but would still rather pull a gooseneck if I had a 1500 anyways. They pull SOOOOOO much better. Now I wouldn’t recommend a 1500 and say a triple axle 34’ stock trailer or flat bed :Caffeine: