2014 RAM 2500 CB Installation complete

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jadocs, Apr 18, 2015.

1. jadocs

jadocs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

X-Force you say? Lol
    [​IMG]

Your absolutely right man. No echo or roger beep for me (even though the radio has it built in). I prefer full modulation. Noise toys are gay. Right again about wanting a base station lol

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Hemi Ram

Hemi Ram Member

Ram Year:
    2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4
    Engine:

Oh no... It's too late. Hahaha...

The smallest amp I run right now is a straight 6 pill 2879 box in my truck. It has SSB and a remote switch box. I drive that with a RCI 2970 N2. Radio has been peaked, tuned and converted. Radio has a speach processor installed so I run the OE mic with the controls on it. Works real well with my Wilson 5000.
    BTW... I don't know what kind of power someone was running to get a magnet mount to discolor the top of that truck but I would have to think it was a crap antenna without a loading coil. I have had some serious amps in my truck in the past and I can pull my magnet mount and there's nothing there.

I'll have to check out that President you run. I used to have an old president hr2510 that I sold years ago. Love to the radio but it was always a little buggy.

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

jadocs likes this.
  3. jadocs

jadocs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
  4. jadocs

jadocs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Got my Amp tuned and installed a MFJ/822 Watt/SWR meter inline (center cubby) so I can tune my RF Power to dead key exactly 3 watts before I use the Amp. Radio will dead key about 12 watts with the RF Power turned all the way up and it will kill the Amp if I don't turn it down before I use it. After the Amp tune my input and output SWRs are now flat across the board once again. This thing is booming now.
    [​IMG]
    Close up of the meter:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  5. SilverStreak88

SilverStreak88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Eco Gasser
    Looks like your set-up to just troll around and listen everybody. I like the set-up, but it's a little much for my liking. I think the headliner speakers would've been the best way instead of screwing shit into your dash.

6. SPDKLZ

SPDKLZ Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Limited Mega Cab
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    I started following and then dropped off for a bit. I see you have made several changes.

That being said and to sort out my confusion, what exactly are you using now in regards to radio, coax, mount and antenna? I like the idea of adding speakers to the headliner so I will go that route as I don't want a box mounted on my dash.

How tall is your antenna? I am concerned about going in and out of my arch driveway. Is the antenna easily removable if I leave the base? Any such thing as a low profile antenna that still gets good reach?

7. jadocs

jadocs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

The speaker is secured using existing holes. I didn't drill my dash at all. There are a couple issues that need to be considered when using external speakers. If they are not matched to radio output (I forget the technical term since its been a while since I did this) it will sound like crap. So you are pretty much limited to speakers made for CB. Plus I couldn't find any speaker grills that matched what was already in the headliner. No luck trying to get them from the dealership either. I think mismatched speaker grills would look worse in the headliner. If I couldn't do it right, I wasn't going to do it at all. I wasn't about to cut two holes in my headliner for something that did not look factory.

8. jadocs

jadocs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

Coax: Times Microwave LMR-240 Ultra Flex
    Antenna: Sirio Performer 5000
    Antenna Mount: Breedlove

The antenna is foldable. If you go back a few posts you should see a lever on the side. You just twist it and it folds down...or you can unscrew the lever completely and remove the antenna.

I forget how tall the antenna is but it is longer than the Wilson. For some reason 72" is stuck in my mind, but I could be recalling in error. (It blows the Wilson away in terms of performance).

9. Jmhm17

Jmhm17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    I am going to bring this back from the dead. I see you spent a lot of time and money on this project and I'm curious where you are now with it. I understand about 2% of whats going on here. My only expierence with CB's is that I had a Radio Shack one in my Ford Ranger as we used it to communicate with each other off road. I recently was thinking of maybe putting a small setup in my truck now as I kind of miss the trucker chatter on my way to work. Then I remembered how crazy this old technology is and people still go nuts with it.

What do you recommend for a cheap setup? I'm not looking to go crazy like this, maybe hear conversation from a few miles, and talk that far too. From what i remember fighting interference was chore number 1.Do I need an amp and all this fancy stuff to have something nice? Is there a plug and play option available now?

10. jadocs

jadocs Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

For what you want to do, a good basic radio like the Cobra 25 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna (see my first post in this thread) will be just fine. No amp needed. You will still need to tune the antenna (as you would on any new setup).