2014 RAM1500 new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20-22 MPG at 70-75 MPH

15-16 around town

pretty light on the gas pedal...

I goose it once in a great while to hear the mufflers start to rapp...

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Gas pedal or Speed

Which one constitutes to the mileage drop. Should I press light on the gas pedal (or) should I go on a lower speed (60 -70km/hr) /cruise control. Which one directly affects the gas mileage?

1. Does speed matters?
2. How about if I set a cruise at 100km/hr ? will I still get good gas mileage?

OS

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Which one constitutes to the mileage drop. Should I press light on the gas pedal (or) should I go on a lower speed (60 -70km/hr) /cruise control. Which one directly affects the gas mileage?

1. Does speed matters?
2. How about if I set a cruise at 100km/hr ? will I still get good gas mileage?

OS

Speed matters,slow down and drive like you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal,and you'll notice quite a difference in the trucks mpg.Cruising back roads at 80 clics my truck will pull down in the 8L per 100 clics range,up the speed to 125 clics or more (QE2 speeds) and my milege drops to the range of 12L per 100clics.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Wild

Wild,

How can we slow down in an expressway where the min speed is 100km/hr? I have to go at least the minimum speed. But I do not accelerate much though lol & I set the cruise and drive. Yesterday it showed me 12l/100km and I turned off twice and turned it on back again and mileage dropped to 14l/km. Does turning on and off your engine suck more gas too?

OS

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild,

How can we slow down in an expressway where the min speed is 100km/hr? I have to go at least the minimum speed. But I do not accelerate much though lol & I set the cruise and drive. Yesterday it showed me 12l/100km and I turned off twice and turned it on back again and mileage dropped to 14l/km. Does turning on and off your engine suck more gas too?

OS

Stay off Deerfoot,as much as you can,lol. The difference you noticed yesterday is probably more to do with the wind picking up in the afternoon. You're right in the ballpark for milege though,not super great,but not really all that bad either.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
LOL ...so you are saying anytime I go at high speed, mpg will drop hey. Do you guys know any decent trustable mechanic in Calgary area for all maintenance work?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL ...so you are saying anytime I go at high speed, mpg will drop hey. Do you guys know any decent trustable mechanic in Calgary area for all maintenance work?

It’s the same with any vehicle. The faster you drive the worse mileage you get, it is just more pronounced with a truck. The mileage will also get worse in the winter time due to the cold weather, idling, and winter fuel.

I have 3.92 gears and run 10 ply tires. On the highway in summer at about 100 km/h I can get down to about 10.5-11.5 L/100km. Around town it is about 14-15. In the winter it will go up to about 17 L/100km or even more if I remote start or idle it a lot.

It is a big, heavy, non-aerodynamic truck after all. If you are really worried about fuel mileage then a truck may not be the vehicle for you. No matter what you do or how you drive the mileage will be bad.