2015 Center Console Swap DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here's a few pics of my console with new Katzkin. I did lapis with black wrap seat color. Very happy with turn out View attachment 67706View attachment 67707

I have seats like that (Black/Grey two tone Roadwires, pics a few posts up) and I was thinking I would have to go with the harder to find black armrest version, but the grey doesn't look bad there actually...

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
IMG_0962.JPG I swopped to a full console on my 2018. I bought the grey top and am happy with how it turned out. You will be better off finding a console with the center bezel and as much accessories as possible!!! Most if not all wiring will be there you just may have to move the harness around some!!

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
View attachment 165113 I swopped to a full console on my 2018. I bought the grey top and am happy with how it turned out. You will be better off finding a console with the center bezel and as much accessories as possible!!! Most if not all wiring will be there you just may have to move the harness around some!!

I just bought this... appears to have everything I need, even the bolts. And it's the 2016+ center section I wanted. I kinda was thinking about waiting for an ebay coupon since mothers day is around the corner, but figured if I did that it might not be around then lol.

There are a few scuffs on the dash bezel, I'll see how bad they bother me I can always get another one for not too much $$ it appears. Also a few scuffs on the back panel, but I'll never see them haha. I also snagged a black armrest, found one for a decent price - figure I can flip it if I decide the grey works.

fb15X9Rh.jpg

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you should install the upper glove box on the passenger side they make a kit for that. You did a really professional looking job>> looks great

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I actually already have it, the truck came with it. Actually I was looking at it today - it has Bighorn badging. I was wondering if I could change it to Limited - either just the badge or the entire cover...

Edit, seems like one can... but it's spendy... :shakehead:

Maybe I could find a "Limited" sticker :p

Last edited:

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm swapping my console with a buddy's jump seat soon. Can someone tell me where all the screws are to remove the console? Is it the 6 that I have pointed below? Thanks

20190509_134319.jpg

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And the seat belt buckle for the jump seat uses the same mount/bolt as the driver side seat belt buckle?

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And the seat belt buckle for the jump seat uses the same mount/bolt as the driver side seat belt buckle?

In my Ram, the passenger side seat belt buckle was bolted with the jump
seat bracket. Those are the correct bolts in your photo, plus there are two additional screws you’ll have to take out in the front of the console where it meets the dash bezel. Pull the rubber mat out and you’ll see them. They are torx 20 (T-20) head screws. Then it’s just a matter of sliding it out and unplugging the wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my Ram, the passenger side seat belt buckle was bolted with the jump
seat bracket. Those are the correct bolts in your photo, plus there are two additional screws you’ll have to take out in the front of the console where it meets the dash bezel. Pull the rubber mat out and you’ll see them. They are torx 20 (T-20) head screws. Then it’s just a matter of sliding it out and unplugging the wiring harness.

Thanks for the response. The jump seat female part of the buckle is mounted together with the driver side female buckle right? I havent see the donor truck yet so I just wanted to be prepared.

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cant say for sure. I’m having issues remembering exactly how that was set up. I remember having to do a little extra work on the passenger side when I took the old seats & jump seat out.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There was a very large box on my porch when I got home today :D. And the black armrest arrived as well. Both earlier than expected.

Supposedly all the bolts are included, at least based on the pic. There are a few scuffs on the dash bezel so will have to see how bad they actually are. And I might change out the rear to a Quad cover vs the Crew cover since I won't have ductwork and it's a little scuffed up as well.

From researching, I recall the passenger seat typically will have to come out to get the jump seat out, unless you really torque the crap out of the mounts yanking it out. I'll probably just pull the passenger seat for simplicity.

I might do it Sunday, if not then maybe sometime next week. Have Saturday blocked off for other upgrades :).

s-l500.jpg

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There was a very large box on my porch when I got home today :D. And the black armrest arrived as well. Both earlier than expected.

Unboxed everything, cleaned up a few spots - the dash bezel doesn't look to bad in that spot I mentioned. Pretty much came with everything, and I mean everything lol.

One thing, they cut the harnesses, on the truck side I assume (which is common I think for salvage shops) so am hoping I will have these available on my truck when I pull the jump seat?

The harnesses attached to the console are all fine, it's just these two that I assume were attached to the truck...

HkWla5ih.jpg

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just installed a center console and didn't have to splice anything. i had a harness that i believe is the one that makes it plug and play. The part number on it is X40009102XX. I googled the number but nothing came up.

Anyways, I hope it helps someone doing this swap.

This is good news, as I have this in my console.

However, I think I might not have all the bolts - notice the odd number of the larger black flange bolts - odd number of bolts always worries me lol.

4CQ0w14h.jpg

The two silver large ones are for the rear mount I am assuming.
The copper one goes in the center pocket bottom
The phillips head go in the dash bezel/console connection

That leaves two small black torx bolts, two smaller flange bolts, and three larger flange bolts :confused:

I'm thinking the three larger flange bolts should actually be four, and they bolt the console sides, then the two smaller flange bolts bolt the front corners somewhere, based on the arrows in Gero's post above.

Front mount, I guess I will have to buy something - what should I look for? I saw mention of 1" bolt with fender washers? I assume due to square holes. Or nut plate? I just don't want to have to run to the hardware store in the middle of the install lol.

0848797e9592b228bb3bffe204f7aa62.jpg

And why is the rear mount always rusty. Seems like every one I've seen used has rust on it.

Last edited:

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is good news, as I have this in my console.

However, I think I might not have all the bolts - notice the odd number of the larger black flange bolts - odd number of bolts always worries me lol.

4CQ0w14h.jpg

The two silver large ones are for the rear mount I am assuming.
The copper one goes in the center pocket bottom
The phillips head go in the dash bezel/console connection

That leaves two small black torx bolts, two smaller flange bolts, and three larger flange bolts :confused:

I'm thinking the three larger flange bolts should actually be four, and they bolt the console sides, then the two smaller flange bolts bolt the front corners somewhere, based on the arrows in Gero's post above.

Front mount, I guess I will have to buy something - what should I look for? I saw mention of 1" bolt with fender washers? I assume due to square holes. Or nut plate? I just don't want to have to run to the hardware store in the middle of the install lol.

0848797e9592b228bb3bffe204f7aa62.jpg

And why is the rear mount always rusty. Seems like every one I've seen used has rust on it.

Almost all the hardware you need is already in the truck holding the current set up. The only bolts I had to buy, were the small ones that go in from the side and actually hold the console. I also could not find the nut plates that go in those big square openings, I just got a couple fender washers and lock nuts. Getting a wrench on the back side to hold the nuts, was the hardest part of the whole job, and it was not that hard.

You will need a few other nut plates, but they can be taken off of what is coming out of your truck and reused. Same thing with most of the bolts you take out.

One thing I would suggest, take both front seats out. It will make the job much easier and give you plenty of room to work. The 10 minutes to take them both out will save you much more in the long run.

Overall it is a pretty easy and straightforward mod. Took me about 2 1/2 hours and I was taking my time and doing it by myself.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Almost all the hardware you need is already in the truck holding the current set up. The only bolts I had to buy, were the small ones that go in from the side and actually hold the console. I also could not find the nut plates that go in those big square openings, I just got a couple fender washers and lock nuts. Getting a wrench on the back side to hold the nuts, was the hardest part of the whole job, and it was not that hard.

You will need a few other nut plates, but they can be taken off of what is coming out of your truck and reused. Same thing with most of the bolts you take out.

One thing I would suggest, take both front seats out. It will make the job much easier and give you plenty of room to work. The 10 minutes to take them both out will save you much more in the long run.

Overall it is a pretty easy and straightforward mod. Took me about 2 1/2 hours and I was taking my time and doing it by myself.

yeah, I am going to stop by Lowes and get a couple 1" bolts/nuts and washers so I will have them if needed. And try to match up that 4th one for the side.

The passenger seat connection is really the only thing left I am not sure on - seems everyone says it is a pita to get the jump seat out due to passenger seat - is the jump seat bolted directly to the pass seat/frame or? In the OP he said he removed the pass seat but then later he said the unbolted the jump seat from the pass seat, so wasn't clear if he took them out as a single unit, then unbolted the jump seat.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
yeah, I am going to stop by Lowes and get a couple 1" bolts/nuts and washers so I will have them if needed. And try to match up that 4th one for the side.

The passenger seat connection is really the only thing left I am not sure on - seems everyone says it is a pita to get the jump seat out due to passenger seat - is the jump seat bolted directly to the pass seat/frame or? In the OP he said he removed the pass seat but then later he said the unbolted the jump seat from the pass seat, so wasn't clear if he took them out as a single unit, then unbolted the jump seat.

My center jump seat was bolted to the passenger seat and would have been very hard to get to while installed. At a minimum, I would remove the passenger seat. I removed the passenger seat and jump seat still bolted together, then unbolted them from each other. I would also recommend removing the driver side seat, gives you much more room and it is a good time to give the carpet a good vacuum.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Supposedly all the bolts are included, at least based on the pic. There are a few scuffs on the dash bezel so will have to see how bad they actually are. And I might change out the rear to a Quad cover vs the Crew cover since I won't have ductwork and it's a little scuffed up as well.

From researching, I recall the passenger seat typically will have to come out to get the jump seat out, unless you really torque the crap out of the mounts yanking it out. I'll probably just pull the passenger seat for simplicity.

I might do it Sunday, if not then maybe sometime next week. Have Saturday blocked off for other upgrades :).

s-l500.jpg
Take lots of pictures when you tackle this. I hope to get around this on monday but itll depend on the weather.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OK took a look at the jump seat mounting this am, I think I understand how it fit's together better now. Grabbed a few bolts/washers/nuts at lowes for the front mount, plus a M6 which is the missing side fastener from my set. It's not exactly the same flange but close enough.

Probably not going to happen this weekend, I want to do it in the garage to stay out of the heat and sun best as possible, and I have some furniture in there till Wed... So hopefully late next week I'll start the swap.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm doing the swap right now and the express how has a fully functional console but I've run into a problem with my bighorn.

Where and how can I connect the 12vcig and USB to on my truck?

15575857886595349083289119041966.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam