2015 Power Wagon Licence Plate Lights Flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joel Penkala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Greetings,
Have read a bunch of threads about lights flickering- primarily interior, dash, map lights, etc. I was just wondering if anyone's licence plate lights have done the same, and if so, the same fix applies. Sounds like most replace the bulbs. I have about 36k on the truck, and they are the factory lights so I am a bit suspicious that it's a cheap bulb or something along those lines. Have checked the initial connections by wiggling etc, and have not had an affect on the flicker. Have yet to crawl under and test w/ volt meter all the way back to the front of the truck, and seeing as to how its 4 degrees out here in NJ right now, w. snow on the ground I am not pumped to do so. Any help much appreciated. My thoughts were a bad ground, faulty wire, or the body control module?
-Joel

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
With 36k on the clock I’d head to the nearest dealership ASAP for any hope of having this taken care of under warranty.

OP
OP
J

Joel Penkala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Was thinking it was an option, but since I'm already over did not know if they would honor it.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its only your licence plate light that is flickering I would think that the problem is with the wiring or connections that go to them. Often it can be something simple like a wire that has had its insolation nicked by a rock etc...the wire then breaks over time and the connection becomes intermittion as the wires makes and loses contact. A bad ground can also have the same effect...Look for the green crusties. If it was my truck I would just wait for spring rather than crawling under it during winter.

OP
OP
J

Joel Penkala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks Frisk, that makes sense to me. I had someone suggest a Body Control Module, but I am going to dive under the truck and chase the lines when I get a dry day and see if there is a bad ground, or nicked wire. Figure it would be easier to start there, rather than going full force at things like the BCM.