2016 6.7 no boost.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaxtonScarborough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys just wondering your thoughts, sorry for the long post. I just bought a new 2016 6.7 Cummins, has 1700 miles on it. Today after letting it idle while I was at the gas station it suddenly idled up and sounded like the VGT was fully closed, I figured it was the truck trying to warm itself since it was cold out this morning and the truck hadn't had a chance to warm up good. After getting in the truck and pressing the brake it idle down but when I take off slowly rolling into the throttle it sounds like the egr opens and I can't build boost but hear the turbocharger spoiling pretty hard, after a little bit it'll spool up and run perfectly normal and after I drove it a while it's acting perfectly fine again. Just wondering if anyone's had this problem before or has any idea what it might be, any helps appreciated.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Where it idled up and made the whistling sound is definitely the truck trying to warm itself up. If it's cold enough outside (under 10F) and the coolant temp is under 170 it will do that and close the exhaust brake to keep the heat in.

The fact that it's not building boost afterwards is definitely not normal though. Has it thrown any codes at all for the turbo or the MAP sensor?

OP
OP
P

PaxtonScarborough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No, no codes or anything and once I drove it around a little harder and got it warmed up it stopped doing the no boost situation. Hard to believe a truck with 1700 miles on it would already have a sticky egr valve or turbocharger vanes but that's to me what it acted like?

I don't wanna make a dealer appointment and down the truck if it's not showing the problem just wondering if anyone's got ideas of what to watch out for.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I'm assuming you're reading the boost off the EVIC correct? Does it tell you an actual PSI or just a bar going up and down? I have a feeling that it doesn't actually have any issues.
If the EGR or throttle valve was sticking you'd notice it smoking like crazy and if it wasn't building boost properly it would throw a MAP code.