2016 loss of brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do love my Ram but as title suggest... Driving down road service brake system with chimes on dash flashes then instantly goes away.. So thinking just a glitch I forget about it. Next morning on way to work no issues until lunch. I'm heading back to my shop same alarm and lights while driving and as I am pulling up to stop light to turn I press brake and pedal falls to floor with 0 brakes. I pumped brakes and immediately they engage and ABS kicks which made a nasty grinding noise. Get towed to dealer and being Friday afternoon I had to wait until Monday. They said 1 front speed senors went bad and caused truck to think it was stopped. With that said I still am shocked that 1 senor caused me to have 0 brakes if this had been emergency I'm unsure how it would have ended. This happened Dec 15! Truck only had 25k miles on it and paper work states senor fail due to rust. I live in Texas my 2001 jeep xj has 0 rust and looks new so this to me is unacceptable.

ram 1.jpg ram 2.jpg ram 3.jpg

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a scary situation. You really should have had the vehicle checked out after the first warning light/error messaage.

OP
OP
Bmxj01

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct! However no codes showed up on Abs scan tool, so I assumed it was just a glitch which is my fault so i won't deny!

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too many electronics on vehicles cause the possibility of failures that won't get attended to for exactly this reason. The glitch that caused the warning was not recorded on your reader, but may have been readable with dealer level electronics. OTOH, you did exactly what 99% of us would have. The failure of the sensor was an outside shot at failure but you "won" the prize with the complete failure later. Thankfully you and the truck are okay. I've seen wonky warnings on my dash from time to time, but by the time my mind registers them they disappear. Some I recall, others I cannot. One that I can remember was something referencing the failure of the front parking sensors that surfaced right after going through a car wash and then parking the truck in my driveway. The next time I used the truck everything was fine and has been since.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My brother has had this running issue on his gen 4 ram. It's happened several times. The first time we replaced the entire braking system trying to figure it out only to tow it to a dealer to have them throw in a sensor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I'd be screwed if this happened. The closest Chrysler dealership is an hour away. I could almost buy a new truck for the cost of that tow bill :D

OP
OP
Bmxj01

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too many electronics on vehicles cause the possibility of failures that won't get attended to for exactly this reason. The glitch that caused the warning was not recorded on your reader, but may have been readable with dealer level electronics. OTOH, you did exactly what 99% of us would have. The failure of the sensor was an outside shot at failure but you "won" the prize with the complete failure later. Thankfully you and the truck are okay. I've seen wonky warnings on my dash from time to time, but by the time my mind registers them they disappear. Some I recall, others I cannot. One that I can remember was something referencing the failure of the front parking sensors that surfaced right after going through a car wash and then parking the truck in my driveway. The next time I used the truck everything was fine and has been since.

I agree. All these electronics are making it a pain for anyone but dealer to work on. This is why I love my 97 GTS I can do what ever I want!

OP
OP
Bmxj01

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother has had this running issue on his gen 4 ram. It's happened several times. The first time we replaced the entire braking system trying to figure it out only to tow it to a dealer to have them throw in a sensor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes I still don't understand how 1 sensor caused this, you would think there would be some redundancy

OP
OP
Bmxj01

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be screwed if this happened. The closest Chrysler dealership is an hour away. I could almost buy a new truck for the cost of that tow bill :D
Thankfully everything was covered!

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes I still don't understand how 1 sensor caused this, you would think there would be some redundancy

I drove around for weeks tracking down a problem with rear wheel speed sensor. Sometimes same grinding noise occured.
Brake never failed, just service 4x4, ESP and ABS lights where on.
Rust on the Wheels Seed Sensor can be wiped off and sensor should work fine again.
2 weeks after i changed left rear wheel sensor right rear wheel sensor went bad, so you may prepare for another visit at the dealership...
Front wheel sensors are much more expensive than rear wheel sensors!

A failing wheel speed sensor should absolutely NOT knock out your brakes, in no case!
If ABS and vacum booster fail you will have to press very hard, but car will brake!

Chris

OP
OP
Bmxj01

Bmxj01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove around for weeks tracking down a problem with rear wheel speed sensor. Sometimes same grinding noise occured.
Brake never failed, just service 4x4, ESP and ABS lights where on.
Rust on the Wheels Seed Sensor can be wiped off and sensor should work fine again.
2 weeks after i changed left rear wheel sensor right rear wheel sensor went bad, so you may prepare for another visit at the dealership...
Front wheel sensors are much more expensive than rear wheel sensors!

A failing wheel speed sensor should absolutely NOT knock out your brakes, in no case!
If ABS and vacum booster fail you will have to press very hard, but car will brake!

Chris
I agree. I usually work on my own vehicles because of this (Dealerships answer)"Senors made truck think it was stopped why loss of brakes" I'm hoping for no more issues on this, unfortunately I will be forced to make changes if i ever go through that again to much to live for!