2016 Muffler Delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TangoTracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys first post!

I have a brand spankin' new 2016 Flame Red Hemi Crew 4x4 in my driveway that is way too quiet. Even the wife thinks it should have that aggressive V8 growl.

Any issues with a muffler delete? I'm talking backpressure, mpg loss, low end power loss, etc? I'm going to DIY it with SS exhaust piping and either weld it myself or have a shop do it (unless they refuse to bc its an army auto shop and legality issues interfering)

I've seen some videos and love the exhaust note with a muffler delete, but everyone is using a kit so anything particularly important I should do with my DIY mod? A little nervous to start hacking away pieces of a $40k+ truck... and will this void the warranty?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20160604_204406.jpg
    20160604_204406.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 100

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
probably will have a loud in cabin drone,

look a 14" or 18" Magnaflow

will give you a nice low idol and is way awesome when you stomp on it :)

I would kill the resonators

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if by "muffler delete" you mean, no muffler and just straight pipes.......good luck. Its going to be so loud and obnoxious, not only outside, but inside the truck too, your gonna wish you put some sort of muffler on there

OP
OP
TangoTracer

TangoTracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I was going to leave the resonators and just straight Y-pipe where the muffler is to keep it a liiiiittle quieter with the same note

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran muffler delete with no resonators. Sounded awesome and to me really wasn't all that bad inside the cab. I miss it everyday. It's all relative. Loud to me is probably a lot different than loud to another guy or vice versa. I've run magnaflow 14" which to me was pretty mellow. My current MBRP is a tiny bit louder than the magnaflow and much more throaty.

OP
OP
TangoTracer

TangoTracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran muffler delete with no resonators. Sounded awesome and to me really wasn't all that bad inside the cab. I miss it everyday. It's all relative. Loud to me is probably a lot different than loud to another guy or vice versa. I've run magnaflow 14" which to me was pretty mellow. My current MBRP is a tiny bit louder than the magnaflow and much more throaty.

Will leaving the resonators keep my note a little quieter in cabin? Never done this mod so idk what effect the resonators really have

woody31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Special Service Vehicle
genius at work...22 yr old kid,,,new truck,,already ffffiiinnnggg it up,,and wants to know about the warranty....WHAT A JOKE,,,READ THE OWNERS MANUAL,,AND PAPERWORK FROM DEALER,,,,,,,

Hemi_1340R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the outdoorsman so single exhaust but I just done this last weekend took muffler off and put a piece of pipe in I left the resonator on and to me it sounds awesome no drone nice little rumble thought I heard that the cats provide enough back pressure but don't know for sure

I also have a brand new 2016 and if there is a warranty issue I'll put the stock muffler back on 30 min job. P.s. I'm 27 and still do this

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I didn't feel removing the resonators made a whole lot of difference. As mentioned about if worried about warranty then using clamps so you can easily reverse it would be best. Stock muffler just clamps in so its actually really simple.

OP
OP
TangoTracer

TangoTracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
genius at work...22 yr old kid,,,new truck,,already ffffiiinnnggg it up,,and wants to know about the warranty....WHAT A JOKE,,,READ THE OWNERS MANUAL,,AND PAPERWORK FROM DEALER,,,,,,,

Clearly you were never 22 :D

OP
OP
TangoTracer

TangoTracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will probably go the clamp route, was trying to avoid exhaust leaks and such but it's probably not an issue and reversability is a great backup

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am running a boeschbuilt 14" magnaflow and it sounds clean.
It has no drone at all, quiet at low throttle and loud at high throttle.
I say it's moderate at half throttle.

The new carven bolt on kit is also something you should look at.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running a muffler delete (2+ years) and I love it. I'm divorced and the kids are finally out of the house so I can have it as loud as I want but honestly, it isn't really that loud. Now it has a tendency to be louder during cold starts at high idle but once it settles down, you don't really notice it until you open it up. I get compliments on it all the time. I won't lie, there is some drone in the cabin at certain RPMs but not very much. The best way I can describe it is if you are sensitive to it, yes it will bother you and I would go with a 14" Maggy and the drone reduction pipe. To me, I hardly ever hear it. Again, it is just me and the dog in the truck so neither of us are bothered by it. Heck, he has his head out the window so much, I think he likes the sound more than I do.

springer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 express rcsb
Engine
pentastar 3.6 v6

LOL. When I was younger than 22 every guy from 18-40 that bought anything other than a 6 banger couldn't wait to rip off or disable every piece of smog crap and change mufflers. I only knew one guy that didn't and only because he didn't know one end of a wrench from the other.

Kid, clamp on a smittys, thrush, or cherry bomb and see how you like it. If you don't enjoy it you're not out much.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've heard this is good stuff too. For reference, I've got Flowmaster 50 no resonators and it's a little too screamy for me. I wonder if a 14" Magnaflow would solve that problem? Get a it a little deeper and sportier?

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From what I've heard from the stealership, it won't void the warranty. Anything from behind the cats back is free game. From the cats forward will void it