2017 2500, grinding going into reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey guys,

I've got 2000 miles on my 2017 2500 and its been good so far. However i noticed the other week that its grinding going into reverse if i don't wait for the rpms to drop to 700 or so before shifting into reverse.

I laid under the truck and had my wife start it, wait 30 seconds or so, then shift to reverse snd if the rpm is around 900 or 1000 when shifted to reverse, it does it every time.

Does anyone elses do this? I will have to take it in unfortunate which makes me cringe as there's not a mark on the truck now and im very particular with it.

Sounds to me like an engagement problem, i can see the driveshaft move a little when its shifted, not the movement of taking up drive train lash either. It also will bang when shifting from reverse to park and when i leave off the brake after shifting to park, the truck will move a few inches rearward till the lash is out or the drive line.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 2017 ram 2500, 2k miles, 6.4/3.73.

Thanks
Greg

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you one of those people that shifts from forward to reverse, or vice versa, while the truck is still moving?

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
No sir. In fact im very deliberate not to do that. I only shift with the brake depressed, vehicle stationary.

It's only a very subtitle noise, but it did not do it when it was new

If I let the rpm settle down at 700 or so, it does not make the noise

The sound is literally for a second or two. Reverse engages, but it has that slight grind when i initially put it in reverse

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck farts going into reverse it's always done it with 38k miles on it my 14 had 78k and it did as well loud as hell to I'll be sitting in sonic and ever time I go to back out it makes a loud ass farting noise kinda embarrassing for the ole lady but I thinks its funny

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 16 (2500 w/ 6.4) does the same thing. Have 23k on it now.... no problems so far.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks guys. That's exactly what mine does and sounds like.

The dealer says it's normal and with you guys input, it sounds like it is. Good to see you guys have that many miles with no issues. My truck just started about 500 or so miles on it. I have 2300 now.

I guess I'll just run it and not worry about it anymore since you guys were nice enough to post. Thanks guys, you have put my mind at ease.

Dealer tried to tell me it's brake noise, it's not, as i said in my initial post i can see the driveshaft shake when it makes that noise. It's very brief, maybe a second or so. Bruuuuuup, that's it.

I still have 4.5 yrs and 57k left on my power train warranty, so hopefully it holds up.

Thanks again guys. I was worried the dealer was feeding me bull crap when they said they checked other customers trucks and they all did it, but had none to show me when I got out there.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. That's exactly what mine does and sounds like.

The dealer says it's normal and with you guys input, it sounds like it is. Good to see you guys have that many miles with no issues. My truck just started about 500 or so miles on it. I have 2300 now.

I guess I'll just run it and not worry about it anymore since you guys were nice enough to post. Thanks guys, you have put my mind at ease.

Dealer tried to tell me it's brake noise, it's not, as i said in my initial post i can see the driveshaft shake when it makes that noise. It's very brief, maybe a second or so. Bruuuuuup, that's it.

I still have 4.5 yrs and 57k left on my power train warranty, so hopefully it holds up.

Thanks again guys. I was worried the dealer was feeding me bull crap when they said they checked other customers trucks and they all did it, but had none to show me when I got out there.

See I have a problem with Someone elses truck does this mentality so it;s normal. Does it mean its normal, or more than one truck is not right?
Mine doesn't do that, so is mine abnormal then because it smoothly goes into reverse? as you read in my other post thats the same story I got from my dealership with my issue, Normal.. when I know its not. If it doesnt do it the moment you drive it off the lot, it's not normal IMO. In my case I have plenty of folks chiming in that theirs doesnt do it (rear whine) .

TO be sure, simply drop in and try out a truck or too, even under the guise of buying a new truck and see how they go in and out of reverse.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine doesn't grind going into reverse whether I do it before the idle comes down on cold start or waiting.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
well, thats interesting. there is another dealer in my town i don't particularly like, but maybe I'll call them and see if i can stop by with it sometime and look at it with the tech present and see what they say.

i explained all this in an email which i gave a printed copy to the service advisor when i was there . it's like he didn't even read it. such bs. dealer/ dealer techs are so clueless. if there's no cel lit, they are lost. not good. oh well

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I am beginning to wonder if they even drive another vehicle (the techs)..Is it a possibility they simply write it down that they drove another vehicle and it acted similarly in order to avoid working on it? I mean that kind of seems like a default response now from a tech.
I for one am looking forward to driving WITH a tech in a new vehicle to verify my complaint. If my dang warranty work would get finished on my camper so I could pick it up.. Geesh 3 weeks now over a microwave frame.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yeah, I was a bit put off by the whole process. I don't get called till 4;20 pm, the techs leave at 5. I tell them to ensure there is another truck that does it to show me and when i get out there, they tell me "sorry, it was another customers truck and its gone" such bs.

All I know is it didnt do it when it was new or i would not have bought the truck. Period. Clearly something is not right with it, but at this point i have to ask myself if i want some dealer tech tearing my 2300 mi trucks transmission or transfer case out when the truck otherwise runs great and has no leaks.

May be better to just leave it be than open can of worms

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
DO this..

When you park, stop and before taking out of Drive Apply the parking brake hard.

Then put into park.

When you leave, start and put the truck in drive/reverse, then release the brake.

Does it go away?

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks mega, I'll give that a shot.

Ive also heard it suggested in another thread to shut the engine down before you put it in park so there is no load on the drive train when you engage park. I should be able to drive it regularly, but whatever.

As an aside, this seems to be a reverse only issue. I don't have any noise going into and out of drive. If you search the net there are a lot of threads on this issue and it seems it goes back to at least 2009 from what I csn tell with these trucks.

I'll try to look for the links. Something about an internal valve issue that Chrysler went from a steel ball to a plastic ball to quiet things down. It just bugs the heck out of me that it didnt do it when it waa new and now at 2200 miles it does and I'm just supposed to accept that it's normal on an 8 month old truck? Not acceptable

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
This is a very good thread on this issue.

I don't like the noise at all, but if it's doing no damage i may just ignore it for now since the truck is so new and see if it gets worse or stays the same. If it gets worse, back in she goes. It started doing this a few months ago so if it's going to get noticeably worse it should not take too long

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hey guys,

I've got 2000 miles on my 2017 2500 and its been good so far. However i noticed the other week that its grinding going into reverse if i don't wait for the rpms to drop to 700 or so before shifting into reverse.

I laid under the truck and had my wife start it, wait 30 seconds or so, then shift to reverse snd if the rpm is around 900 or 1000 when shifted to reverse, it does it every time.

Does anyone elses do this? I will have to take it in unfortunate which makes me cringe as there's not a mark on the truck now and im very particular with it.

Sounds to me like an engagement problem, i can see the driveshaft move a little when its shifted, not the movement of taking up drive train lash either. It also will bang when shifting from reverse to park and when i leave off the brake after shifting to park, the truck will move a few inches rearward till the lash is out or the drive line.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 2017 ram 2500, 2k miles, 6.4/3.73.

Thanks
Greg

Rule of thumb is never shift when r's are higher then 700, except manual trans, it will bend a shift fork fast. Jmho, good luck bud.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I was a bit put off by the whole process. I don't get called till 4;20 pm, the techs leave at 5. I tell them to ensure there is another truck that does it to show me and when i get out there, they tell me "sorry, it was another customers truck and its gone" such bs.

All I know is it didnt do it when it was new or i would not have bought the truck. Period. Clearly something is not right with it, but at this point i have to ask myself if i want some dealer tech tearing my 2300 mi trucks transmission or transfer case out when the truck otherwise runs great and has no leaks.

May be better to just leave it be than open can of worms

Just make an appointment with your dealer to do a ride along with a Tech.. Then go through the process on yours, and a new one off the lot, if the new one doesn't do it, they can't deny it as an issue. This is what Im doing for my issue after I get my trailer picked up.

LexarRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 HD SLT
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi there. First post on the forum. My company has purchased two Rams this year. Having an issue that sounds like it might relate to what I am reading this thread.

I have a 2017 SLT 6.4 2500 HD. It is clunking when you shift in and out of park. The issue started at 34,000 miles about a week ago. The dealer says its the brakes and the noise is normal. It is clearly not the brakes. I took it to a third party mechanic and this is what he wrote verbatim:

VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN, CLANK NOISE WHEN GOING FROM PARK TO GEAR, NOT ALL THE TIME, CUSTOMER STATES DEALER SAYS THIS IS NORMAL, IN OUR OPINION THIS NOISE IS NOT NORMAL, NOISE COMING OUT PARK ON LEVEL GROUND IS UNUSUAL.

Does this sound similar to what you are experiencing?

Best,
Brian

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 16' Ram 2500 6.4 does this as well. Been doing it since new & I now have almost 25,000mi on it now. Almost does sound like the brakes chattering a bit as they move from being put into motion from selecting reverse.
My first car was a 79' Dodge Magnum w/360 & the 927 TF Tranny. Putting it into reverse I would get a huge clunk! Sounded like the driveshaft was going to drop off at any time. U Joints & all were fine & I drove about 175,000 teenage miles on it & she never failed me. Some of these things just sound worse than what they are. Always good to get them checked out by one or two sources just to make sure.