2017 heights, models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HBguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I've been driving trucks and pickups for decades and for my next vehicle, I'm tempted with a Ram 1500. Ive driven many trucks of all generations and makes but now I'm wanting a 2017 Ram 1500. I'm trying to find some information online and cant seem to find any. I hope someone from this forum could provide me with references.

I'd like to know what the body height differences are between the Big Horn and other submodels. I believe that I can get a Big Horn with the highest suspension (stock) but Im not sure if the one I had for a day was the tallest nor if it was as tall as it was because it had the air suspension option. Does anyone know which submodel is the tallest, and if any additional options are required? I'd like a reference to the information also so I can purchase the Ram thats best.

Thanks in advance,

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It used to be the outdoorsman model had the highest stance. That model was discontinued and I'd now a package you can order. Not sure if it raise the ht still. It was only an inch iirc.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welcome to the forum, sorry I have no information about one being " taller " then another stock. Are you adverse to adding a level/lift to the equation ?

F.O.F

Last edited:

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The air suspension gives you the ability to raise the ride 2 inches above the 'regular drive' height with air suspension. The Rebel is set from the factory to be an inch higher than all other air suspension models in any mode, and also has 33s, so it should be the highest. Otherwise 2WD vehicles always look shorter than 4WD and probably are by a touch. And then with everything else equal there's the different wheel sizes. 20" come out a little taller than the 17".

OP
OP
H

HBguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to have a good starting point for when i do modify the suspension. Quad cabs seem to be the way to go from what I've read from official releases. This will be my occassional toy hauler so i dont need the 5.7 and gears (rebel) but it is tempting. I treat trucks like trucks (not garage queens) so I dont want to spend $ but I'm also a junkie for tech and features so Im leaning towards the Big Horn or Laramie Big Horn.

Im hoping to get a deal on a 2017 when 2018s are released.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
From what I understand all the 1500 4wds are the same height now.
If your using it as a toy hauler Look for the 5.7, 8sp and as for gears that really depends on how big of trailer you will pull

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure which versions of the transmission the big horns get but the Rebel gets the heavier duty (ZF8HP70) transmission. My friend has a Tradesmen that basically has similar options to my Rebel but he has the standard 8speed trans (ZF8HP45). When I was pricing them out the big horns were a bit more expensive than the Rebel was and having the air ride is sure nice. I also like that the truck will lower itself down so entry and exit is much easier.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The HP45 transmission is used by the Pentastar V6 engines. All of the Hemis use the HP70 regardless of the trim level, as long as they are equipped with the 8 speed. The Rebel isn't any different than the other v8 8 speeds.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From what I understand all the 1500 4wds are the same height now.
If your using it as a toy hauler Look for the 5.7, 8sp and as for gears that really depends on how big of trailer you will pull

All but the rebel, which is 1 inch higher, as previously stated. The main issue with the rebel in my opinion is the air suspension. I haven't seen a lot of options for modifying. I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up soon enough though.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Coworker has a 2016 4x4 CC and I have a 2015 4x2 QC. Parked right next to each other there is no noticeable difference in the heights. Same size wheels and tires.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All but the rebel, which is 1 inch higher, as previously stated. The main issue with the rebel in my opinion is the air suspension. I haven't seen a lot of options for modifying. I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up soon enough though.

I have a Rebel and I'm an active member on a couple Rebel forums. They do modify the air suspension. The common one is adjustable air suspension links which basically fool the computer into thinking the suspension is in the "normal' mode when in fact it's in the highest (off road) mode. This allows Rebel owners (or any Ram with air suspension) to drive around at the highest setting permanently...kind of like a mini-lift. Also, a few guys have actually completely removed the air suspension and put coils and a 4-6 inch lift on their Rebels.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio