2018 Laramie Oil temp sensor reading 122*F as lowest temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
My new 18 Laramie with the premium 7" EVIC cluster I think is doing something weird. I can't remember exactly but I got the truck around 12/14 and if I remember correctly the oil temp gauge reading started at a much lower temp than it does now.

Its been winter here in NJ since I picked it up, snow already on the ground. If I recall even with my 14 express the oil temp reading on the EVIC started around 90*F right? I thought my new truck did as well, then one really cold day like 3*F ambient the oil gauge did something funny. It now (for the last week or so) will only start at 122*F as its base low reading. After a bit of driving it will not move from the 122*F starting point and then it will jump quickly from say 122 to 125/127/130/132/134 etc like it will change 2*F every sec or so which is not accurate. Till it reaches a stable temp like 140*F which is where it should be with a 180*F engine temp etc. Then the temps will increase correctly like 2*F every 15sec or so of driving. I feel like something happened or the sensor didn't like the cold and it lost the lower half of its temp range.

I dont like that its not reading below 122*F when my tranny temp can read as low as like 40*F. Im thinking the 122*F false oil temp could be affecting low temp engine running. I just want to know if this is something I should bring it to the dealer to take a look at. I just had it in for a mirror defect replacement.

Can someone verify there 7" EVIC cluster base oil temp reading? I'm talking like it sitting over night, to just see what it will read below 122*F, or am I just losing my mind.

bigdodge

Reaction score
It actually shows >122. Meaning less than 122. Don't understand why it reads like that but it does as well on mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, normal.

I always mistook the < for part of the UI of the gauges (like the < and > that indicate you can use the left/right buttons on the dashboard)

But it actually reads <122 until the oil gets to 122 degrees, then it starts to rise with oil temp.

Im not quite sure why they chose 122 and why not just let it count up from starting value like trans and water temp do.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Ok good lol. I was like dammit...

Good to know. Does anyones do <122 and then rise quicker than normal? Like 10-15* in a few sec vs a min or so?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine doesnt, but it probably doesnt count because today is the first day in forever that its above freezing :)

Takes a looooooong time to get the oil up to temp around here lately.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Yes, normal.

I always mistook the < for part of the UI of the gauges (like the < and > that indicate you can use the left/right buttons on the dashboard)

But it actually reads <122 until the oil gets to 122 degrees, then it starts to rise with oil temp.

Im not quite sure why they chose 122 and why not just let it count up from starting value like trans and water temp do.
Yup, had that backwards.

It's definitely strange that they did it that way. My Challenger always started at ambient.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk