2500 HEMI vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm having a huge internal conflict with myself. I want to step up to the 2500, mainly because of the 3/4 chassis that can handle more payload than my 1500.

I was originally sold on the 2500 Diesel because of the gobs and gobs of towing power. However, after pouring over specs, the only towing differences in terms of "rating" is actual towing capacity. Payload on a HEMI vs Diesel 2500 is about the same (200lbs payload difference) because "duh" it's the same chassis.

So, is it worth the $7k more for 200lbs of payload on the diesel? I'm pretty upside down in my 1500 and I'm working with several dealers right now to see who will come up with the best trade/2500 deal. If I go diesel I'll be paying quite a bit more per month ($100 ~ $150/month), if I go HEMI it'll be about the same.

I'm towing an 8000lbs boat/trailer/gear with about 800lbs of tongue weight. The 2500, regardless of HEMI vs Diesel, will give me a more comfortable "wiggle" room when towing. I don't tow a ton, maybe 2,000 miles per year, but I want to do it as safe as possible and I don't want to stress about weight. I'm constantly thinking about weight, where should I put X item, in the bed or the boat due to the low payload of a 1500. And since we use our 1500 as a daily driver I'm sure I'm going to be paying a lot more than $150/month for the diesel due to diesel prices and the lack of the "ECO" modes.

As much as I want a Cummins, I'm not sure I need it nor am I sure I want to pay for it :) Convince me one way or the other!

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I personally would go for the Cummins just because I like having what I want, even if it costs me extra money. I'm the kind of guy who figures that I work for my money so I might as well get what I "want" and not just what i "need" as long as is pretty reasonable and would cause me to go bankrupt haha.

So my vote is for the Cummins if you can afford that extra money and you want it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
buying the cummins for the sole purpose of an extra 200lbs payload capacity is a waste. your 1500 will tow that trailer no problem, granted if you load your truck with a lot of gear and 4 adults, your will have exceeded your payload, which you are correct about looking at stepping up to a 2500. in a 2500 hemi, you wont notice the trailer much. you dont need the diesel, if you want it, thats a different story. by all means, go for it. it will get better fuel mileage towing and definitely tow it easier. but that trailer is not a strain for the hemi.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the difference in mileage between the 2500 w/Hemi and w/Cummins?
Factoring in higher diesel prices unless there is an appreciable difference in MPG, I'd stick with the Hemi.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What's the difference in mileage between the 2500 w/Hemi and w/Cummins?
Factoring in higher diesel prices unless there is an appreciable difference in MPG, I'd stick with the Hemi.
Yeah, I'm very curious about this as well. Considering my wife will drive the truck 80% of the time to and from work (4 miles round trip), I'd assume a gasser would be a better cost effective option.

Re: Payload, that really is my biggest concern. I've had a total of 5 passengers in the cab plus 200lbs in the bed + 800lbs of tongue weight; I'm over the payload limits. I do have air bags so I'm not sagging, but it doesn't matter. I want to be under my limits, bottom line.

I "want" the Cummins badly but feel I may cost myself more money in the long run, especially in fuel where it's not needed. I really want a 4.10 2500 HEMI but those are very hard to find in my area. I've even looked 400+ miles away at the "worlds largest" Dodge dealer haha (according to them).

A 4.10 2500 HEMI would probably be the best of both worlds for me. More payload, gobs of extra towing, and the gas engine for town and longer (non-towing) road trips.

Kevn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If u wanna tow fast and not slow down on the hills get the diesel. If your not in a big hurry when u travel, the hemi will do the job. I went to buy a new cummins but after taking the hemi and cummins both for a ride on the hwy I was disappointed with the passing power of the cummins. Having 2 performance diesels previously, I'd have to do a lot of work to the cummins to bring it up to par. Left the lot with a new hemi and love it. I've towed my 6200# trailer with a Rzr on the quad deck, its no cummins but I'm happy with it

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm definitely not that guy that hauls **** in the left lanes. I'll pass people slower than me, sure, but I'm no speed demon even when I'm not towing :) I saw some guy in a 3500HD (Silverado) towing a 30'+ trailer over the weekend going at least 70 (local laws here are 60mph when towing). Never a cop around when you need it. It's just not safe to tow that fast with your whole family in the truck.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
A 2500 Hemi with 4.10's is only going to get 13-14mpg if that with mixed driving...maybe even worse if only driving 4 miles per day and never getting on the highway.

Something else to think about the depreciation value of the hemi compared to the diesel. While the diesel will obviously cost more up front, you are going to get most of that back when it comes time to sell. The hemi trucks lose value very fast once you drive off the lot, so its nice knowing that you wont take a huge hit on the truck in the end.

I sold my 07 Cummins for $30,000, and it had 88k miles on it at the time. That same truck with a hemi was only going for about $17,000-$19,000 at the time.

I love the hemi motor in the half tons, but I just think it is underpowered for the 3/4 ton platform.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Great point about long term value. I'm going to lose my shirt if I go with the diesel but in the long run, I may come out ahead ;) Argh. Hopefully this dealer in Idaho will come through and I can make a run at the diesel and keep the clothes on my back.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If it puts you in a financial situation where you cant cut it, then don't force yourself to get the Cummins. Having owned diesel 2500's, I just cant see myself going back to a gas truck unless my finances forced me to.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If it puts you in a financial situation where you cant cut it, then don't force yourself to get the Cummins. Having owned diesel 2500's, I just cant see myself going back to a gas truck unless my finances forced me to.

Yea this is exactly my feeling as well. If you literally won't be able to afford clothing...or if it would even get close to that point...I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yea this is exactly my feeling as well. If you literally won't be able to afford clothing...or if it would even get close to that point...I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I'm sure I was being a little dramatic ;) but every single time I buy a car or truck I get a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. The only time, after 25 times, this didn't happen was when I bought my 1500. I needed that truck due to issues with my former tow vehicle. And now here I am again, needing a 2500 (imo) for towing and if I bought a HEMI I think I could sleep that night. If I bought a Cummins and knew I'd be paying an extra $150/month for 7 years, I'd have a few restless nights ahead of me.

Is it in my budget for a Cummins? Yes. Does that mean I want to pay for it? No :p

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Honu- have you AND your wife driven a 2500?
I pulled up next to the same deep cherry red Ram as ours but 2500/Cummins last weekend.
The lady said the ride and MPG was SO bad they're trading back down to a 1500 now that they can buy a smaller trailer.
I have dreams of a 2500/3500 SRW but only if its a dedicated tow vehicle. The ride quality/ride height of the 3/4 or 1 ton platform for day to day use is not right for us.
Just wondering if you took that into account with your wife's commute. The lady I spoke to looked miserable talking about it, and her commute sounded similar to your wife's.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey Honu- have you AND your wife driven a 2500?

We've both driven a 3500 Cummins, it was a 2012 though. I'm heavily leaning towards the HEMI... because of the commute/gas factor.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was in the same boat when I went looking for a 2500.. Couldn't decide on the Cummins or the Hemi. Although I do not tow anything and just wanted a 2500 none the less.

I decided to go with the 2500 Hemi and it has been a great truck. Again I don't do a lot of towing other then a few four wheelers.

On that note, I have just added a 87mm ported throttle body from Moe's Performance a LMI Mid Tube intake from Moe's Performance as well as a Bully Dog Hemi GT Tuner. That combo with this 2500 really woke it up and has actually surprised me with the gains and the performance that it has provided to the truck.

Now it is no Cummins but I'm sure if I did want to start pulling heavy payloads I would be more then happy with the set up I have now.

So for just under $1k you can help out that stock 2500 Hemi motor to push a little better and give you better performance. expecially if you go with the 4.10's

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
For the reasons Matt pointed out, I'd go with the Cummins. If you've only got a 4 mile cummute to work, the cost of gas isn't going to break the bank and when you're towing the Cummins will do a lot better mpg towing than the Hemi would.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which one would you want if it were given to you? Go with that one or you will be in the same situation a few months down the road because you didn't get what you wanted.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I leased a 2011 2500 Hemi and I towed around 12 times a year with it. The heaviest being about 10.5-11k which was right at the max rating and it did ok on the highway IMO. The weight made me think about the diesel but I only towed that weight once and a while now I only tow up to 7 or 8k. The only complaint I had was a couple of shift points of the 545rfe it had so I just left in in manual mode with tow and haul mode and it fixed that. The 2012+ 2500 Hemis have the 66rfe and I heard people are liking it a lot better with no complaints. Those that tow on a constant basis get the cummins usually. Unloaded I didn't mind the 2500 Hemi for its size it had decent power but I also had the 4.10s. My recommendations is if you get the Hemi 2500 is to get it with 4.10s the difference in mpg is negligible and you will thank yourself in the long run. The ride difference in the 1500 and 2500 is night and day though which I found out when I purchased my 12 1500 since I wasn't towing 10-11k anymore.

Last edited: