2500 HEMI vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Diesel maintenance is way more expensive

Really, way more? Perhaps at some point in time, that may have been true. With current production vehicles, the difference between the cost of scheduled maintenance between my Hemi and my Cummins isn't worth a discussion.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My tow pig is a 07 qc 4x4 5.9L /g56 trans, ddt /3:73. Doesnt have any bells or whistles and no smog equipment. I mostly drive my 03 1500 gas street truck.(Redtruck)... but the diesel is there when I need it.

18Aries

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep how much is the diesel oil change vs Hemi? As example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel

Thats not necessarily a fair comparison as it can be countered with 20mpg verses my gas truck 10mpg. Try to work out something like operating costs for a month or year or maybe even 10 years.
Bottom line, you'll pay to play.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The cost of diesel will even out more so than you might think. However it can be very expensive to repair diesels if not covered by warranty.

Every dealer charges different for oil/fuel filter changes. You will save money by doing the regular maintenance yourself.

I spent about $85/$90 bucks for 7 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra and SRT filter for my 6.4.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer wants around $150 for a Hemi oil change. My old Dmax (Chevy) was about the same. These new gassers take a load of expensive synthetic oil and there's really not much of a difference anymore. The only real difference is the fuel filter needing to be changed on a the diesel every 10K-ish. The dealer does charge ridiculous rates for this but if you can change a light bulb you can change the fuel filter. If I remember right I was paying around $25 for fuel filters so the grand total of excess diesel maintenance for me was about $50 a year.

I agree that the whole "diesel maintenance costs are way higher" is totally overblown. A couple decades ago this was somewhat true. Modern day? Hardly worth talking about unless someone is trying to trash diesel truck ownership.

I went gas about 3 years ago for a variety of reasons. Maintenance cost didn't even make the radar when deciding.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In the long run diesel should be cheaper and more enjoyable when used correctly. For some it simply won’t make sense since hey only go by the money not by the enjoyment

louie217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 gas
I didn't read through the comments how ever I've done research on this.
A diesel is way over engineered and has to be due to the forces in the cylinders. So what that really equates to is everything is bigger. And everything also has oil going to it. Like the piston skirts have a nozzle spraying oil on them. Diesel fuel is oil and not caustic like gasoline. This further leads to things lasting longer. And diesel has more potential btu than gasoline and is more efficient. To better show some comparisons I'll show examples.
Dad's truck was a 97 ford 250 xlt 7.3 powerstroke 4x4 ext cab long bed.
My ram is a 01 4x4 sport 5.9 quad cab short bed
Mom's van was a town and country 3.3

250 got 510k miles on it before the injector computer and wires went out and dad sold it. Guy has it running now. Truck is stock. Gets 22ish on the highway.

1500 has 212k burns oil has a bad injector needs rear end rebuilt for the 3 time got 15mpg highway when new with a bed cover. Has new heads and a water pump. Both things dad's truck didn't have done.

Mom's van. 24mpg highway......
Worst quality from Chrysler that thing was junk.

In this you can see that Apple's to apples the big 7.3 turbo diesel is killing it. Same ish mpg as an engine over half as big, with no turbo. The 5.9 is it's closest comparison and it's blowing the doors off. Sure the maintenance is more costly, but when you can get 500k out of a truck and the only thing you do is basic pm and get way better mpg don't it even out. And really I'd rather have the diesel for reliability reasons anyway.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

louie217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 gas
Also i forgot to add this. I'm a trucker. Do you see any current class 8 trucks with gasoline engines? A big truck that pulls 80k pounds or more uses a 15 liter engine, makes 350-750 hp 1450-1800lbtq and operate depending on driver and shifting habits from 1k-1700 rpm. Plus with you towing you can have a Jake brake which will save your brakes and make up more on the upfront cost and fuel cost. Oh and you'll get better mpg pulling with a diesel over a gas and will have way less problems, like over heating and wearing out your engine.

louie217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 gas
Hey Honu- have you AND your wife driven a 2500?
I pulled up next to the same deep cherry red Ram as ours but 2500/Cummins last weekend.
The lady said the ride and MPG was SO bad they're trading back down to a 1500 now that they can buy a smaller trailer.
I have dreams of a 2500/3500 SRW but only if its a dedicated tow vehicle. The ride quality/ride height of the 3/4 or 1 ton platform for day to day use is not right for us.
Just wondering if you took that into account with your wife's commute. The lady I spoke to looked miserable talking about it, and her commute sounded similar to your wife's.
Alot of this makes no logical sense. So you mean you tell me a truck that is engineered to haul 3/4 a ton or 1 ton and has stiffer springs to due so rides rough? Did you laugh at them? Do you laugh at yourself? Cummins is getting pretty good mileage, maybe they should have it looked at or do research on things to do to it to get better mpg. Like delete it, put an ats air horn On, different air filter and a tuner.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Great point about long term value. I'm going to lose my shirt if I go with the diesel but in the long run, I may come out ahead ;) Argh. Hopefully this dealer in Idaho will come through and I can make a run at the diesel and keep the clothes on my back.
If you're already backwards financially on your 1500 and you can afford the payments on the CTD then get it. Much easier to burry that negative equity over time into the CTD then it is that 2500 HEMI. Find yourself the CTD you want and work out the lowest deal possible. After a year or so you'll have eaten up your negative equity and you'd be surprised what the CTD is still worth once you pay it off.