2500 Snow plow prep group

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by mohemipar, Feb 15, 2017.

1. mohemipar

mohemipar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Laramie
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Anyone know definitively if the snow plow prep group contains any upgrades to the suspension, particularly for the '16+ trucks? Ive looked around and found no real proof. I did find that the snow chief group does. Just trying to determine why one would order the prep group when you can get skid plates and hooks in other packages that also include more valuable options.

2. theviking

theviking Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
  3. SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015...2500H.D.
    Engine:
    The link you provided is laughable...FCA snowplow testing in Houghton,MI...I have been thru there dozens of times during winter months riding my sleds. The snow comes down there like pillow feathers, not a good place to test your plow capabilities. Head further south and plow some real snow that at times has the consistency of wet cement...I spent close to $60k on this 2500 Ram, A new Western snowplow, and a new salt speader. It's the worst plow truck I have ever owned. Almost 30 years in the Comm plow/salt biz...Just my opinion...........

4. Sandbox

Sandbox Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    My window Sticker list the following for the Snow Chief Group:
    • Transfer Case Skid Plate
    • 220-Amp Alternator
    • Anti-Spin Diff rear Axle
    • Instrument Panel Mounted Auxiliary Switches
    • Clearance Lamps
    • LT275/70R18E On/Off Road Tires

5. theviking

theviking Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    What makes it a bad plow truck?

6. SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015...2500H.D.
    Engine:
    Absolutely the worst factory tires for snowplowing. Especially since these tires are actually an upgraded tire just for the Snow Chief pkg. The sipe line goes around the circumference of the tire, not across the width of the tire to shed the snow.

The 3.73 gear is NOT a snowplow gear, unless you are plowing pillow feathers. The FCA engineers should include the 4.10 gear as an additional piece within their Snow Chief pkg...It's only $50.00 more

The shift points in the tranny do not work in conjunction with the what is required to plow long runs of real snow. The shift from 1st to 2nd is again laughable from a plowing standpoint.

Poor tires...Wrong gear for plowing...Shitty trans shift point for plowing...You should see the dashboard idiot lights lite up like a fireworks display, when I'm making a long plow run of wet snow, and the truck cant handle it due to nothing working together

DO NOT INVEST IN A RAM TRUCK FOR H.D. COMMERCIAL SNOWPLOWING...THIS IS MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION AFTER ALMOST 30 YEARS IN THE BIZ AND A FEW MILLION DOLLARS OF REVENUE GENERATED...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  7. theviking

theviking Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I can't tell if you feel strongly about this not being a good plow truck:p

No doubt the tires are horrible, but that's easily corrected. Also no doubt the gearing leaves something to be desired, a 4.44 or 4.56 option would have been awesome. Did you ever consider running a HF tune were he adjusts the shift points? Understand warranty an cost are concerns but it definitely makes a big difference overall.

8. Danno

Danno Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    Just use 4low, problem solved. Or buy a ford.

9. SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015...2500H.D.
    Engine:
    I have never had to do the things you mentioned on any of the dozen or so plow trucks ive had over the years. All of those other trucks all came with 4.10 gears included in the plow prep pkg, even the early diesels I had. Factory tires were designed for plowing. And NONE had the shitty 1-2 shift...I did replace the shitty TRANSJUNK tires with an ultra aggressive thread KANATI MUD HOG tires ($765.00) that realistically should NOT have to happen either...NO...I will not jeopardize the warrenty with a tune, nor will I spend the coin to do a gear swap, that should have been included in the S.C. pkg...AGAIN...Overall the truck as it came from the factory is a P.O.S. for H.D. Commercial Plowing ....IMO...

10. SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015...2500H.D.
    Engine:
    I had an open mind when I was shopping this truck...Buying a FORD would have been no problem for me....UNTIL...I was told by the dealer that since I was paying CASH for the truck, the price would be $1500.00 MORE...LOOOL...FUCK YOU FORD...