2nd Gen LED dash light Change DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Has anybody done fully green ?
I want them to match my courtesy lights. Should I look for green LED's and just install them or should I try to get the film off?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418769647499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418769647499.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 195

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive never seen anybody do green leds yet but ive thought about trying them out to see how they look. I doubt youd have to take the film off since it gives a green hue to the halogen bulbs already.

LED's will generally just overpower that film on our dashes and show only the colour of the LED's. I tried some red LED's this summer for awhile but didnt like them. They looked ok at night and showed up perfectly red but they just werent bright enough to see until it was almost pitch black outside.

But I imagine green will work much better. Maybe next summer I'll give them a try since im considering swapping my lights behind the grill from red to green as well.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well I figured it only gave them a green hue since the regular bulbs are probably nearly yellow and the film is blue. Didn't want them to turn out teal lol but if they over power them like that then yeah no worries.
I'll probably try them out soon.

Chewytoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 dodge ram 2500
Engine
5.9 cummins
Had a question specifically to skram but anyone can answer. In the post about doing the light switch. I ended up doing red leds for my truck. Well anyways ive tried both 3mm and 5mm leds and they both seem to get burnt out or at least dont work when i try to hook them and plug them in. I got one to light up for a second and the other ones i tried dont seem to come on at all. I tried just touching the wires both ways to see if they'd light up with the switch.
btw my autozone and even oreillys didnt sell those packs of leds

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a question specifically to skram but anyone can answer. In the post about doing the light switch. I ended up doing red leds for my truck. Well anyways ive tried both 3mm and 5mm leds and they both seem to get burnt out or at least dont work when i try to hook them and plug them in. I got one to light up for a second and the other ones i tried dont seem to come on at all. I tried just touching the wires both ways to see if they'd light up with the switch.
btw my autozone and even oreillys didnt sell those packs of leds

Sounds like a short LEDS should last being on for well over a year, not to say they couldnt be defective but with multiple going out id say you have a short. Also you might have another problem wiring can be tricky sometimes. If they arent getting burnt out id say try and test them on something else? I doubt they need a full 12 v so that might be kind of tricky. I know i got some LED strip lights for my 85 to work with the dome light when the door was opened or with a switch i wired in, 1 didnt work and i was chasing my tail for quite a while unti l i decided to test them by putting leads directly on the battery.... They didnt light up got new ones hooked em up to the battery in the parking lot and they turned on. Not sure what to tell you besides making sure you follow the directions to the T. I WANT TO SEE RED LEDS!!!!! PLEASE GUYS I NEED A PICTUREEEEE!!!

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried red LEDs in my cluster last year and let's just say they didn't even last a week before the blue ones went back in. You could not even see them or tell they were on until it was totally dark outside. They just weren't bright enough. They looked fine at night though. I thought I had a picture somewhere of the red LEDs but I can't seem to find it right now.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright it found the pics of the red LEDs in my gauge cluster for you guys.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424323244.760814.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424323274.258727.jpg

And here you can see the red gauges and the blue still in the heater controls. I didn't bother changing the heater control lights since I wanted to see how I liked the gauges first.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424323293.139923.jpg

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have the dakota cluster because of the hemi right? Just saw the digital gear indicator and I'm like man that would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup that is a Dakota cluster and I'm running it so it will work with the Hemi PCM. I just wish I could change the colour of the digital indicator and odometer haha

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya I was going to just pull that damn bulb out but it's actually an LED soldered right to the board on these Dakota gauges. The ABS and park brake lights also stay on to but I've got electrical tape covering them inside the cluster haha.

Its been so long since I've had a vehicle without a check engine light on now though that I'm almost more worried when the damn light isn't on!! Hell even my mazdas light came on less than a month after I bought the damn car!!

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check it out fellas, I made mine bright as hell!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425017308.228678.jpg

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's what it looked like when part of it was done
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425018124.838930.jpg

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the light distracting going doing the road?

Not really, they are kinda bright but only as bright as the stock bulbs were. Fortunately they will work with the dimmer switch. Unfortunately they don't dim that much lol.