32 gallon fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck has the 32 gallon tank. It also says I am averaging 17-18MPG. My "miles to empty" reads near 500 miles when I fill up. Since I don't have a schedule (retired) I don't care or worry about the issue.

Just want to add my un-asked for 2 cents! :D.

Honestly, it only annoyed me knowing the issue existed, until I made a rushed road trip where I was towing a trailer with a car on it.

I needed to drive from Long Island NY to FL and Back within 3 days. I only wanted to stop when the tank was as low as possible, and no more than needed. It was impossible to guess how much further I had to go after my gauge stated 0 miles left.

One tank I went another 85 miles AFTER 0, and still didn't even put in more than 28 gallons. And that was towing around 7k lbs at 85 mph for a full tank without any traffic.

It was a guessing game that I couldn't risk running out of gas on I95 at 3 am. I think I would have been able to save at least 1 stop each way (18 hours each way), if I actually knew the remaining miles, which means about 30-45 minutes each way.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow! Hay, as long as you kept it under 90....we're all good here.

Correction... I was in Mexico... ;)

The funny thing is, occasionally I was getting passed by big rigs at 85.

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
my 2018 is a 32 gallon tank and reads accurately, don't know if that matters or not.

Last edited:

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Ditto for my 2018, my first fill-up was 29 gallons and the needle was just above E on the dash.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Mine is a 18 as well and reads inaccurately. Seems not all 2018s were as lucky.

deanoldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I drove until the low fuel light came on and then I headed to the gas station. It came on with the Range saying 45 miles. I put 26.87 gallons in the tank and the range said 38 miles when I stopped. So, about 5 gallons left. Minus out a 2.5 gallons or so for 38 more miles and I theoretically would have had around 2.5 gallons at empty. I think that's probably close enough to call the fix a success. It's a lot more accurate than it used to be. So, for me, replacing the fuel level sending unit seems to have worked. Side note: I have about 220 of freeway miles on this tank where my mpg was about 17.5, I don't typically get 15 mpg around town...

gauges.jpg

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
did you keep track of exactly what part number you replaced it with? like i said before, my 2018 still suffers from this problem, so they're still coming off the trains affected.

deanoldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you keep track of exactly what part number you replaced it with? like i said before, my 2018 still suffers from this problem, so they're still coming off the trains affected.

Yep, I have it on my invoice, it's part number 68141873AA Module - Level Unit

Dean

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
so methinks that Chrysler is reneging on their fix. i pulled a parts list on my vin to compare the part number on my sending unit to the part number above. i noticed a little "I" for information next to my part number, and it opened up a note. the note said the following:

Tech Tip Part Description: Module Kit - Fuel Pump / Level Unit

Tech Tip Description: If the customer is concerned about the amount of fuel that can be added to the fuel tank when the Low Fuel Warning (LFW) is illuminated; do not replace the Fuel Pump Module.

LFW is based on the volume in the tank (about 4.6 gallons on the 31 gallon tank). This is a large amount due to the fuel economy of the truck.

With the LFW on, the amount of fuel during re-fueling could be less than 26 gallons.

If a customer complains about a "short fill", do not replace any fuel system components. They are functioning properly.

Contact us at [email protected] for feedback related ONLY to this GPOP Tech Tip. Please include the Part Number(s) and Tech Tip Part Description of the Tech Tip you are referencing for our tracking system.

CHRYSLER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO BACK CHARGE DEALERS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH CHRYSLER WARRANTY AND POLICY PROCEDURES AS OUTLINED IN THE DEALER P&P MANUAL

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
now here is a strange thing. the part number for MY truck is listed as 68237110AC and does not specifically point to the sending unit as serviceable separately from the pump. that's where i found the tech tip about not replacing anything if the fuel level is reading incorrectly. however, when i went in and did the same for a 2017 1500, i got the same part number that deanoldo did and i no longer see the tech tip. it's possible that FCA said "screw it" to the HD guys because of our crappy fuel economy and just focused on the 1500. which does **** me off because like posted before, if i fill up RIGHT when my gas light comes on, i don't have the 4.6 gallons that the system says i have, i can only put 23-24 gallons in, meaning i have double in the tank what i should. my remote start won't work for a quarter of my tank which is very frustrating.

EDIT: i wonder if any of the HD guys are willing to experiment and see if the 1500 sending unit fixes the problem for the heavy duties. according to FCA, the HD trucks are "operating as designed" which sounds like a bunch of BS.

EDIT #2: never mind, that won't work. i looked up my own sending unit. it's not shown as a separate part number like the one for the 1/2 ton for a very good reason: "The sensor is non-servicable. If replacement is necessary, the fuel pump module assembly must be replaced."

Last edited:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Every time I am denied my remote start and I am sweating my balls off I will continue to ********** RAM. Here comes summer!

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I did an experiment on my 1500, I let it get to just about E, then refilled and it took almost exactly 30 gallons to get to full.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I did an experiment on my 1500, I let it get to just about E, then refilled and it took almost exactly 30 gallons to get to full.

Congrats, you have an "updated" model, when my needle is under Empty I can put in 26 gallons...

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Yeah, it seems relatively hit or miss. Hopefully not something that happens in the 5th gen models.

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
Have a 2016 with 32 tank. I let it run to zero then maybe another 50 miles. I then tried to start my truck and it wouldn’t. I guess the low fuel mixed with my sloped driveway was too much to overcome. I put in about 1/2 gallon from my gas can and rolled down my driveway in neutral. I then had enough gas to get down the road to fill it up.

I can’t say for certain if there was more room in the tank because Arco stops automatically at $100. Didn’t know. Still put in 31.6 gallons.

My point is this...
Yeah I have a 32 gallon tank. I know I can squeeze a little more distance once the needle hits E. But, I would hate to run out or experience the inability to start because of a slope. So, I’ll just drive as is. No update necessary for me. I’ll treat it more like having a reserve tank or a gas can onboard without having to actually have a gas can! [emoji106]

abdff1f2c9befc441c282ce037eff8dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I can’t say for certain if there was more room in the tank because Arco stops automatically at $100. Didn’t know. Still put in 31.6 gallons.

$100 for a fill-up !!!!! Dam, your paying way too much for gas !!!!

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
emoji106.png

$100 for a fill-up !!!!! Dam, your paying way too much for gas !!!![/QUOTE]

And that’s 87 octane :/

Yay for California

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Every time I am denied my remote start and I am sweating my balls off I will continue to ********** RAM. Here comes summer!

Here's an idea....Put some gas in it when it reads low.
I have never understood why people will wait til the low fuel light is on before getting gas.
I usually just stop for gas when it's slightly below 1/2 a tank.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's an idea....Put some gas in it when it reads low.
I have never understood why people will wait til the low fuel light is on before getting gas.
I usually just stop for gas when it's slightly below 1/2 a tank.
Probably because everyone has different driving habits. Some guys like to hit every gas station on the way to their house, or every day, some people put just enough in to get them through the day, and then some would like to have extended intervals, hence the reason for paying for the bigger fuel tank. It’s not too much to ask that it keeps track of the fuel correctly, like has been done for the last 100+ years.