3rd brake light recommendations? brightest cargo light?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hemi1300, Mar 31, 2012.

1. LB3711

LB3711 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    not really. Same power is going to both. Its a color difference and a lumens difference. Power has nothing to do with it. You can use 2 seperate 12 volt power supplys and still see the same thing you see with his plate.

2. Hunterok411

Hunterok411 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Vht

I just ordered some spray tint. Gonna tape off the clear part of the third brake and lightly smoke the red. That's whats gonna happen to mine anyways. I'm not planing on gettin bent over on Recon's prices. haha

3. Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Cummins
    Sorry shouldn't have said path of least resistance but since the lights are in parrellel the current supplied to each is proportional to the resistance
    Typical LED forward resistance is 1ohm while a similar 912 12.8w incandescent bulb is 11.5-12ohms since voltage isn't regulated
    Since we can act like the lights are resistors in parallel, theveniens equivalent tells us that voltage is the same in both lights and the total current is split between the two lights
    Total resistance in the circuit is .923 ohms with an LED and an incandescent (2 incandescents total resistance would be 6 ohms, 2 LED would be .5 ohms) so V=IR so total current in the circuit would be 13 amps
    Current through the LED would be 12v=I*1ohms so it would have get 12 amps while the incandescent equals 12v=I*12ohms so it would only get 1 amp
    With two incandescent bulbs they would get 2 amps each do when you switch one bulb to an led you cut the power of the incandescent in half (P=IV so your 12.8W bulb is now only dissipating 6.4W of power)
    So like I said yes the LED is definitely brighter but to be fair to the incandescent it's not to it's full power/potential Energy while there is an LED bulb in the other side
    Im happy with how well my VHT tinted third matches my tinted LED tails

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012