3rd Gen Top Brake light Mod on 2nd Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Saw on some forums people inquiring about this, I decided to do it.
Best part is if you don't like it you can always go back to the originals!

Tools needed
Philips Screw Driver
Drill with small drill bit
Dremel with cutting blade
Dikes (wire cutters)
tape measure

Parts needed
3rd gen top brake light
two 1.25 inch philips screws
Wiring harness from old brake light

1.)Remove your 2nd gen top brake light with philips screw driver and disconnect the wiring harness from the truck.

2.) Remove wiring from 2nd gen housing and bulbs, (notice there are four bulbs the 3rd gen only has 3, no problem just remove one of the brake light bulbs!)

3.) take your 3rd gen housing (if it has 3rd gen wiring attached remove it)
Notice It is a bit longer and thicker than the 2nd gen brake light. we will need to trim the inside plastic that holds the bulbs on the bottoms of each one about half a cm and the sides of the outside two by about 3/8 inch.

4.) take your dremel and cut about 1/2cm off the bottom of each of the three bulb holders (should be just under the circle bulb insert, remember less is more and we can always cut more away later)

5.) go test fit on truck, see how it slides in now just need to trim the sides of those bed lights a bit.( if it doesnt slide in try to wiggle it a bit, you may need to cut off a bit more.)

6.) get a tape measure, measure out 9.5 inches. on the 3rd gen housing line up with what you've cut off on the bottom try to center on there the 9.5 inches and mark it, anything over needs to be cut off. So Cut IT:superhack:

7.) Test fit again

8.) get your drill if everything fit well
put in a small metal bit, line up the 3rd gen housing with the truck, mark the screw holes, (Should be right about where the old housing sealed up on both sides.) drill for the screw holes.

9.) swap the harness from 2nd gen housing to the 3rd gen housing make sure you put the two bed lights in clear lens holes( the outside bulbs ) Now we have two brake lights bulbs and a place for only one, Remove one of the bulbs( we will tuck it into the area inside the cab), install the other brake light bulb into correct red lens.

10.) mount it on, get your screws and screw it on.
Viola!!!!!:favorites13:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 178
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 262
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 296
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 224
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
DodgeTx

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Rest of the pics, took about 45 minutes with cleanup.

Fits decent however not perfect. May work on a way to improve it, I was working at night.:naughty:

Maybe this will help inspire someone, or give them some insight.

best of luck!:favorites13:

Attachments

• image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 143
  • image8.jpg
    image8.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image9.jpg
    image9.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 174
  • image10.jpg