4.7 Exhaust... less noise, more performance. Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought an 06 a year ago, and man, its a noisy dog. The PO installed some glass packs, 3" exhaust, and a short muffler, and not only is it annoyingly droning, Im betting its where some of my performance has gone because of lack of correct scavenging.

I see 11.5mph on E10 pump gas regularly. A little better if I hop on it and speed (which has me thinking the power curve moved to useful torque at higher RPM, perfect for everything I'm not doing). Towing has been miserable, even with a lightweight camper or a bike or 2 in the back.

So Im looking for real data. Dyno info, tabulated MPG, even some in cab sound level readings for exhausts if possible. All I can ever find is garbage about seat of pants and how much people love to hear their fuel explode instead of feeling it move their vehicle.

So how can I move the curve back into useful areas, bump the MPG up a smidge, and quiet this thing down? I browsed through the video clip thing, and it didnt give me much more than some glazed over eyes at talk of cold air intakes (without forced air induction).

:D

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought an 06 a year ago, and man, its a noisy dog. The PO installed some glass packs, 3" exhaust, and a short muffler, and not only is it annoyingly droning, Im betting its where some of my performance has gone because of lack of correct scavenging.

I see 11.5mph on E10 pump gas regularly. A little better if I hop on it and speed (which has me thinking the power curve moved to useful torque at higher RPM, perfect for everything I'm not doing). Towing has been miserable, even with a lightweight camper or a bike or 2 in the back.

So Im looking for real data. Dyno info, tabulated MPG, even some in cab sound level readings for exhausts if possible. All I can ever find is garbage about seat of pants and how much people love to hear their fuel explode instead of feeling it move their vehicle.

So how can I move the curve back into useful areas, bump the MPG up a smidge, and quiet this thing down? I browsed through the video clip thing, and it didnt give me much more than some glazed over eyes at talk of cold air intakes (without forced air induction).

You're basically rolling your eyes at CAI because there is no induction, but you're thinking the exhaust moved your torque curve? it might help to start out by telling us what type of exhaust is actually on the truck. Do you have a cat? Is it just a cat back? Does it have headers?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I see 11.5mph on E10 pump gas regularly.

That's not very fast lol...

As for your exhaust, you may have lost a little punch with an exhaust too big for your baby 8 but it wouldn't move your torque curve up or down the rpm range. That's mainly a function of your cam timing and intake manifold tuning. If you don't like the noise, put a stock style exhaust on it. What gears do you have?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Well I have a Gibson cat back dual turn out open the passenger rear window loud .I hate it but it was on the truck when I bought it.If I had to put the exaust on it would be flowmaster and come out the back like it suppose to.Too big exaust aint good you have to have alittle back pressure to help the engine.You need to listen to Hemilonestar this guy is got a lot of heads up on some of this stuff and will help you.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I seen much better gas mileage and sound with my Gibson headers I also have flowmaster muffler and magnaflow hi flow cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't comment on Gas mileage as I really don't pay attention but I have Magnaflow cats (full assembly) and the Flowmaster kit for the 4.7 (part number 17424) and it's more aggressive when you get on it but there's no droning. Barely notice the exhaust when just driving normally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Also, FYI the stock mid pipe is 3".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk