4.88's in a 2011?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
Now that I'm back home I've been looking at different set-up's and pricing things out to lift the ram. My plan is to go with a 6" suspension lift, and 3" body lift with 37's or 38's, and I currently have the stock 3.55's. Can we fit 4.88's in the 2011's. From what I understand, I have to get some machine work done anyways to go 4.56's correct? Someone enlighten me please.
I want this to feel as close to stock as I can after the lift and tires are on performance wise. Most of my driving is 50/50 city and hwy.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Inside Man

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
At this point im assuming this must be an idiotic question?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
be the first one to try haha

OP
OP
Inside Man

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
Thats what im wondering. with some machine work, is it possible?
Maybe i should go to Moe's web sight and just ask him.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
are you 2wd or 4wd? i dont think they make 4.88's for the front diff.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thats what im wondering. with some machine work, is it possible?
Maybe i should go to Moe's web sight and just ask him.

yeah he would be the one to know.

are you 2wd or 4wd? i dont think they make 4.88's for the front diff.

thats true, idk if they make 4.88s for any year of our front diff

OP
OP
Inside Man

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
Gotcha! Yea, I'm 4-wheel. I wonder how different the front and rear diff's design is. Could we take an older model and put them on our trucks without fitment issues? I'm sure it would have electronic issues because of the newer electric selector switches and all. Just curious guys. I know this is a dead horse. Guess I'll end up with 4.56's. Just thinking there has to be a way.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gotcha! Yea, I'm 4-wheel. I wonder how different the front and rear diff's design is. Could we take an older model and put them on our trucks without fitment issues? I'm sure it would have electronic issues because of the newer electric selector switches and all. Just curious guys. I know this is a dead horse. Guess I'll end up with 4.56's. Just thinking there has to be a way.

front are rear diff's are very different. they didnt make 4.88's for 3rd gen front diff's either. im assuming you have a 1500? if so you would have to swap in a solid front axle. its been done but not easy or cheap. better off sticking with the 4.56's.

OP
OP
Inside Man

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
Yea, 4.56's it is. I see a couple people riding on fourtees with them, and a bunch of others on thirty sevens and all seem pretty happy with the 4.56's. ****** me off that I'm going to have to put this much money into the truck just to lift it, but I guess ***** extensions will never be cheap!
The suspension lift
The body lift
Wheels
Tires
Front gears
Rear gears
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thank god I can at least install the lifts on my own. I'll never get this $$ back out of it but I guess it's the price we pay to play.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO your going to be over 3k just for the gearing including install.
Jay

OP
OP
Inside Man

Inside Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pent
I hear ya but I have the stock 3.55's. I'd have a hard time dealing with 35's let alone 37's. Not good.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that Matt at Moe's can help you with all the parts but I think you will have to locate the front housing. I think that Matt can set you up with the people that machine the diff to fit your gear set up.
Good luck
Jay

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yea, 4.56's it is. I see a couple people riding on fourtees with them, and a bunch of others on thirty sevens and all seem pretty happy with the 4.56's. ****** me off that I'm going to have to put this much money into the truck just to lift it, but I guess ***** extensions will never be cheap!
The suspension lift
The body lift
Wheels
Tires
Front gears
Rear gears
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thank god I can at least install the lifts on my own. I'll never get this $$ back out of it but I guess it's the price we pay to play.

right there with ya. im on the body lift right now haha

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think that Matt at Moe's can help you with all the parts but I think you will have to locate the front housing. I think that Matt can set you up with the people that machine the diff to fit your gear set up.
Good luck
Jay

he has a 2011 he shouldnt need a new front housing.