4 wheel drive ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbillg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
MY 2011 ram when i put it in 4 wheel drive it works but if you get to the point to your spinning the tires to get out of mud or on ice it starts grinding like its coming out of gear any idea what it might be also the service 4 wheel drive light comes on

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So these trucks don't have a true limited slip, they use ABS braking of the spinning wheels to reduce wheel slippage. Often times that ABS braking has a grinding feel or noise. Unless you are experiencing something other than that, it isn't anything to worry about.

I believe the 4wd light to which you refer may be traction control, alerting you to wheel slippage. I'm not entirely sure though, as I don't have a 2011.

Hopefully someone more educated than I can clarify for you, but my gut tells me that your truck is perfectly fine and responding in the exact manner in which it was designed.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try it with the "tcs" or traction control off- also u can try it in 4low-
4low should disable all tcs

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So these trucks don't have a true limited slip, they use ABS braking of the spinning wheels to reduce wheel slippage.

Sort of. By design on an open rear end, the wheel with the 'least' traction will spin. Of course that doesn't do you any good if you have one wheel on ice or snow and the other wheel is on dry pavement. However, by applying a braking force against the 'spinning' wheel, some of the torque is transferred to the opposite wheel which likely will have more traction (otherwise it would probably have been spinning already). Then it should get you unstuck. Like the others said, what you are hearing is the ABS pulsing (modulating) braking force against the spinning wheel.

The good thing about this system is it uses resident technology that already exists on your truck (ABS) and doesn't add any more weight or things to potentially fail. The negative is that torque will be divided so it won't apply 100% of the torque to the opposite wheel, unlike a locking rear end.

OP
OP
B

bigbillg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so this noise is normal i should try it with traction control off and see what happens its pretty loud and I was spinning to get out and everyone was looking at me like my truck was broken lol

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So these trucks don't have a true limited slip, they use ABS braking of the spinning wheels to reduce wheel slippage. Often times that ABS braking has a grinding feel or noise. Unless you are experiencing something other than that, it isn't anything to worry about.

I believe the 4wd light to which you refer may be traction control, alerting you to wheel slippage. I'm not entirely sure though, as I don't have a 2011.

Hopefully someone more educated than I can clarify for you, but my gut tells me that your truck is perfectly fine and responding in the exact manner in which it was designed.

Depending on options these trucks can have a real LSD.