$438 for oil & fuel filter change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
2016 w/ Cummins I got last December..... just had my 4th oil & fuel filter change. They’ve been getting me for over $400 each time. Does this sound reasonable to have it done at the dealership? Came from a duramax and it was usually about half this if I remember correctly, but I think it had a single fuel filter.

They’re charging $50 for the oil, and $170/ea for the fuel filters, and some miscellaneous fees on top of that ($20 supplies, $10 labor, and then tax). I think the extra $10 in labor was due to my DPF not completing a regen (started the day before I took it in). They said it needed a software update; invoice says “performed stationary desoot”.

Idk just seems high to me on the fuel filters. It’s not something I have time to do myself, so if that’s a fair price for the work involved so be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
They are ripping you off big time on the fuel filters. You can get both fuel filters for $100 on Amazon or about $120 at Geno's. They only take about 15 minutes to replace. I have my dealer do the oil changes and I change my own fuel filters. It costs me about $170 every 15,000 miles. It would cost me about $30 less if I did my own oil changes.

Geno's Filters - Fuel

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is why they call them stealerships.

I change the oil in my Cummins, around $57 if Shell is offering the $5 rebate per gallon. I buy oil filters and fuel filters from Athens Dodge, they are an Amazon seller. I watch them for sales and buy in small quantity. Usually, both fuel filters are under $80 shipped.

Two hours and $140 and I have an oil change, fuel filters, and my front drive shaft greased. I'm not a man of means so I made time.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
15 minutes to replace? I was under the impression it was far more laborious from talking to the dealer. Sounds like it really is worth it then for me to replace those myself. I’ll prob keep letting them do the oil. Thanks for the info

daynawide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummings
can I change fuel filters on my 2017 Ram 3500 with oem mopar filters and not void my warranty

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2016 w/ Cummins I got last December..... just had my 4th oil & fuel filter change. They’ve been getting me for over $400 each time. Does this sound reasonable to have it done at the dealership? Came from a duramax and it was usually about half this if I remember correctly, but I think it had a single fuel filter.

They’re charging $50 for the oil, and $170/ea for the fuel filters, and some miscellaneous fees on top of that ($20 supplies, $10 labor, and then tax). I think the extra $10 in labor was due to my DPF not completing a regen (started the day before I took it in). They said it needed a software update; invoice says “performed stationary desoot”.

Idk just seems high to me on the fuel filters. It’s not something I have time to do myself, so if that’s a fair price for the work involved so be it.

6.7L is short for bend over.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
6.7L is short for bend over.

It was the dealer that was overcharging, not that the maintenance on the 6.7L is that expensive. The $170 I pay for an oil at the dealer and fuel filter change may seem like a lot, but that is every 15k miles which comes out to be $56.67 every 5k miles. It would be $140 every oil change, or $46.67 every 5k miles, if I did it all myself. That is not a lot for PM service especially when some vehicles require very expensive oil.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
lol man... why would you pay that? I'm upset that you paid that much and its not even my wallet. We should go burn their building down, that is absurd.

spence36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Anyone have know if any video on how to change the fuel filters ? And part numbers for them ?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Look in the owners manaul. Rockauto for quality filters cheap, they sell OEM.

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
Anyone have know if any video on how to change the fuel filters ? And part numbers for them ?

The OE part#'s are; 68157291AA and 68197867AB.
I have never changed them myself as I work in a FCA dealership parts department and always have our techs take care of it. We typically sell them for $95 and $75 (respectively).

I am embarrassed by any dealership charging the outrageous prices shown by the OP in this thread. :sad72:

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
can I change fuel filters on my 2017 Ram 3500 with oem mopar filters and not void my warranty

The simple fact of using 'other than OE' parts will not void any warranty. If we (at the dealership) determine/prove the parts you used cause a problem or failure, said problem or failure will not be covered. It is against federal law for any dealership or manufacturer to "void" a warranty simply because an aftermarket part is installed.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The simple fact of using 'other than OE' parts will not void any warranty. If we (at the dealership) determine/prove the parts you used cause a problem or failure, said problem or failure will not be covered. It is against federal law for any dealership or manufacturer to "void" a warranty simply because an aftermarket part is installed.

I will also add that the Racor makes the chassis mounted fuel filter for Mopar and Fleetguard/Cummins Filtration makes the engine mounted fuel filter. Mopar just paints them and slaps their name on it. So Mopar can't say that those filters are any different than their filter.

On another note, I know for a fact that the Baldwin filter version of the chassis mounted filter is the same as OE. Earlier this year, the parent company of Racor bought out the parent company of Baldwin making all Racor fuel filters available for Baldwin. It is made by Racor and just painted and labelled by Baldwin just like the Mopar filter.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
yeah, I just let the dealer do my first oil change, fuel filters and an alignment (since I added the leveling kit and some bigger tires). my oil change was covered under some maintenance contract I didn't even know I had. but the rest still cost me $500. i'll be doing my own filters next time. :mad: