46re trans temp...od off light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndgenenthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I'm hoping someone could shed some light on my issue here I just recently had a transmission installed on my 99 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 magnum mileage unknown. Had the shop do a fluid filter change and flushed the cooler lines. Now when I drive my truck after about 5 min of driving after sitting overnight my od off light will pop up followed by the trans temp shortly afterwards and I cannot manually turn od back on. I've read multiple forums explaining possible issues (check valve, GP sensor/transducer, od selinoid etc.) But I'm not sure where to start any insight would be greatly appreciated

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Sounds like the check valve delete is in order, as well as flushing the lines again.

Some shops unfortunately do not know what they are doing. If I was you, I would unhook the return line on the trans after doing the check valve delete. Then flush with atf +4, and change filter.

After almost ruining my transmission in my flatbed by getting stuck in deep water mudding this brought it back.

OP
OP
2ndgenenthusiast

2ndgenenthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I'm not to sure on how to do a flush...I've been told just blow air threw the lines but doesn't sound like a smart idea to me and I replaced the transmission after toasting my last one getting stuck in a deep piddle myself I'm hoping it's a check valve and or GP sensor solenoid

OP
OP
2ndgenenthusiast

2ndgenenthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Not sure if I stated this already but even though my trans temp light comes on tranny and fluid seem to be normal not 100% on that though but when I check the fluid it's not scorching hot to the touch or even super hot for that matter

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If fluid is not flowing, it will get hot inside the valvebody and trans case rather than directly out of the pan

OP
OP
2ndgenenthusiast

2ndgenenthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Just found out that the transmission is out of an 01 and my truck is a 99 maybe pcm issues? Process of elimination I guess

OP
OP
2ndgenenthusiast

2ndgenenthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
You mean 99 GP sensor or PCM out of the truck I got it from?

OP
OP
2ndgenenthusiast

2ndgenenthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
update

its been awhile but i figured id update to possibly help someone in the future....turns out it was the gp sensor/pcm changed out my pcm with the one out of the 01 and no more od light or trans tem runs AMAZING!!!

NRA4ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stopped this problem by replacing rear o2 sensor. Found the info online somewhere. It has not repeated the issue since. Ive put 5000 miles on it since I changed O2 unit.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I stopped this problem by replacing rear o2 sensor. Found the info online somewhere. It has not repeated the issue since. Ive put 5000 miles on it since I changed O2 unit.

The GP sensor & rear O2 sensor share the same 5v signal source. I couldn’t tell you how many times I had that pan down before I found that out in my ‘99.

Milton2003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was your issues: overdrive off and transmission temperature?