46RE Transmission Issue/questions/rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hey guys,

so i recently got this truck with a known transmission issue. it is a 97 (11/1996) Ram 1500 Laramie SLT with the 5.9L 4wd.
starting off when i got it, it does not really "shift" into forward gears, reverse works (clunking from other drive-train parts but that's a later fix). in Drive/1/2 it feels like it was slipping really bad, if you revved it up a bit it would creep forward but that was about it.
so i got it to a place i can work on it when i have time to.
started dropping the transmission which seemed to be the next step in the process but after i dropped the skid-plate under the transfer case, found that the TV cable was loose on top, figured out was a broken clip to the TB, got that replaced.
now, it seems that the transmission actually "drops" into gear but again hardly any forward movement (i cant tell now if it seems to be slipping or binding though, and reverse still works).
also, i had unplugged the electric harness to the case near the shift linkage as i was told that doing this (if the issue was electrical) would cause manual shifting of 1-2 to engage. (didn't affect much if any at all) so i plugged it back in.

So first question, is the general consensus that i'm rebuilding the transmission as im expecting
(i would imagine that TV cable out of adjustment would have toasted a clutch or a band), or is there something else that may be causing this issue.

Second, I've been going around a ringer trying to determine what rebuild kit i need for this thing.
i am seeing 94-97 rebuild kits 98-02 rebuild kits, other sites it breaks at 94-96 and then 97-02, but searching through the kits, half the time it is saying the 97 wont work on mine--get the other kit.
any way i would be able to tell without completely taking it apart? what is the difference? the only difference i can really tell is the filter.

thanks for the time!
-Mike

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Try to get the model or part numbers off the transmission case, then call some of those suppliers back to see where yours falls into the break between the two kits. It sounds as if Ram updated the transmission somewhere during the '97 model year production.

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
i know right in those years especially the whole OBD II and, dodge itself was changing alot of stuff around in those years, will definitely do that, still have yet to pull it out. just didnt know if there was a quick and easy way to tell.
Thanks for the direction maddog!
-Mike

mathews8pt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would drop the pan and see what it looks like inside. That would be a good starting point.

The TV cable being off could definitely causes some slippage, which in turn could burn up a clutch pack or band. It adds line pressure as throttle is increased, so with it loose the line pressure does not increase at the correct rate. It will also cause early shifts, which compounds with low line pressure and will burn stuff up quick.

When you pull the pan make sure it has the round, gold transducer on the side of the vb and that will help you order the correct kit.

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I was going to get started on that on friday coming up after work, going to do a drain plug install on the transmission. there is a leak coming from the pan and maybe the gear selector shaft seal. (whenever i was testing i had made sure that the ATF was at a good level).
From the looks all the pictures i could find it looks like the front side of the pan may be the best place for the plug? any suggestions if otherwise?

Mathews8pt - gold transducer is the later years correct? 97/98-2002?
Thanks!

mathews8pt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gold would be the early model transducer. I mostly do 47/48re rebuilds and the transition was 96-99 and 2000-2007 for the different style transducers, but I’m not 100% sure on the 46res. It’s easy to tell though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I'm learning this 46RE from experience right now. Climbs up to about 3000-3200 for first gear to kick down...after that seems normal for rest of gears to shift.
I've replaced gov press reg, shift solenoid, filter and gasket. That was before winter set in. Also have pretty good leak from front of bell housing, have been told it's most likely pump seals? Starting to dive into this problem now that I have time opened up...will keep posted, but would love some pointed questions and input to help the learning curve.

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
That does sound like pump housing seals or maybe torque converter weirdness, along the way of our rebuilds may be able to swap pointers, my little brother is rebuilding a 48re so good pool of thoughts.

mathews8pt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Feel free to message me or ask me any questions, I’m always working on that family of transmission. Current situation this evening

4349c89b1fee61359d4b2eace9f40147.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just got my 46re built and installed, finishing up the last bit of wiring and loose ends. Hopefully I rebuilt it right! Haha
48b43be8c6152ad16bd633ed4d7ff996.jpg

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Got the tranny dropped this weekend, fluid definitely smells a bit burnt. Torque converter I'm pretty sure is out as well, has a good clunk when you shake it. Didn't get the pan dropped yet though just had drilled the hole to drain fluid. Kyle, what is patc? I am unfamiliar, will definirely check that out though. Dont know if I'm going to put in a shift kit to this thing yet. Don't know if I'll need/want it. I've driven a chevy with a shift kit and didn't care for the drive feel. Would you recommend a specific TC? I've heard to shy away from dacco if possible, at oReilly's I found a torque king, anyone have luck with those? Thanks guys any info is very apppreciated!

kyle watson

Reaction score
Ram Year
96 ram 1500
Engine
5.9L
go for a trans correction kit. it is a shift kit but, not for racing. not like the other shift kits you may already know of. correction kits can be installed from mild to wild. these kits like the t-fod jr transaction will actually shorten the shift time frame, stiffen it up, lesson the slip and prolong your bands.
I never heard bad about dracco TQs! ask patc who they might suggest. I gave you a link in post #11

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
thanks for the link, didn't realize glancing over that PATC was a website, was on my mobile, so i didn't click the link yet. good info on the shift correction kit, will definitely be grabbing one of those, i have been looking at cascade trans parts as their prices seem to be lower for same/similar items. and seems to have more in the rebuild kits.
https://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/a51846rh46re.aspx
but i can only imagine PATC has second to none customer service, and information.
i think i had read either somewhere on this forum or might have been another that daccos were "Meh" as he said. but really i just want it to be in good working order, so i dont know if he was talking in a performance standpoint or if he meant in general.
Thanks!

Tarmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.
Just read something about cables needing to have no slack, topside somewhere.....I could be more vague but it would take effort. So, going to try and see what these cables might have to do with it. Will check back....

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks.
Just read something about cables needing to have no slack, topside somewhere.....I could be more vague but it would take effort. So, going to try and see what these cables might have to do with it. Will check back....

The TV cable will either have a white clip that you pull out on or a black square button with 3 arrows on it. It's the only cable that comes up from the back of the motor the other 2 go towards the front. You don't want it tight and these things adjust by notches so its recommended to go with the one that is the closest to being no slack without putting any pull on the cable. If that makes any sense. >.>

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Looking to replace or rebuild the auto trans in 03 5.7 1500 quad cab. Vin D 230k miles. Getting soft. Have two good rep shops for rebuild. $2700-$2900 24/24 warranty. Or, there are two internet companies that look like they have good reps. $1500-$1800, longer warranty's i.e. Powertran Products Inc. If I select one of them, my tech can R/R for $500. $2300 option. One thought, I know my trans. Been serviced every 25k since new. Hard parts should be in good condition. Would like to hear others thoughts. Fitz

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Looking to replace or rebuild the auto trans in 03 5.7 1500 quad cab. Vin D 230k miles. Getting soft. Have two good rep shops for rebuild. $2700-$2900 24/24 warranty. Or, there are two internet companies that look like they have good reps. $1500-$1800, longer warranty's i.e. Powertran Products Inc. If I select one of them, my tech can R/R for $500. $2300 option. One thought, I know my trans. Been serviced every 25k since new. Hard parts should be in good condition. Would like to hear others thoughts. Fitz

You have a 545rfe trans, it’s different the the 46re trans that this thread is about, just fyi

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So got the trans pulled and taken apart mostly, definitely burnt up. Friction material piled up in the pan. Haven't taken apart the o/d housing as I don't yet have a press I'm able to use. Question though I have some heat coloring on some internal parts, would those need to be replaced? I wouldon't think so if there wasn't any gouging or warping but I'm newer to this. Yeah I was able and read into adjusting the tv cable and adjusted how they were saying to have no/minimal slack. 20180703_181124.jpg 20180703_190941.jpg

OP
OP
Snowmanak406

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Also, I am guessing the gold tranduser is what is shown on the VB and is the older versions? Thanks!