47RE skipping, what is wrong? please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fonzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I've done some searching but have not found my exact issue, hopefully someone knowledgable can give me some help
I have 97 2500 cummins 12v, 47RE automatic, 2 wheel drive. 250k miles. al stock, never modded or hot rodded. all routine oil and fluid changes done since new. never pulled anything with it.

So here is my issue. the trans is 'skipping / lurching' when shifting from 3rd to OD. if I nurse the throttle a little and go easy, it doesn't happen, only under harder acceleration. this has been going on for about a year, maybe 1,000 miles (I mostly drive this a couple of miles to and from work, surface streets, rarely over 30 MPH)
with the truck runnign in park, if I stand near where the bed and cab meet, I can hear a distinct rattling sound. kind of random, like a couple ball bearings in a coffee can. it's difficult to tell if it changes when I accelerate, but it happens in drive or park, sitting still for sure.
NOW more recently it is acting up in 2nd / 3rd. it's not terribly violent, but noticably. some NOTES: if i turn off overdrive, and put truck in 2nd gear (instead of just drive) it shift first to second just fine, but it will reach about 20-25 mph in second, then start hiccuping again like it's trying to shift into 3rd. so it appears it's not from shifting gears.

in trying to fix the problem I did an early trans fluid / filter change, found nothing in the oil / pan. I swapped out a new 3/4 accumulator return spring (was broken, common) also put in new
Heavy Duty Governor Pressure Solenoid, Governor Pressure Sensor/Transducer and Output Speed Sensor
did not fix anything.

any input / ideas here? thanks!

OP
OP
F

fonzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's never been done as far as I know. would a band adjustment cause it to hop n skip when gear selector is set to second gear, and truck is in second gear, going 20-25 mph (maybe 1700 rpm) ?

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It probably wouldn't hurt to adjust them. Mostly it pertains to shifting gears so I don't know if it would cause that. Another thing you can do is make sure the gear linkage is adjusted like it should be. I know 46re transmissions are shifted physically via lever but I'm not sure about the 47re.