4Low Hill Climbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in my first 4x4 2500 truck, and I'm learning as I go. I figured that this situation would be perfect for 4hi? Getting ready to go out west and I'll be taking on White Rim Road (google it) in Canyon Lands National Park. 77 miles of off road, it's considered moderate to off roaders. Most is a no brainer but there are some Very steep inclines, and some with tight turns. I figured the steep hills with tight turns I'll use 4hi and the other steep hill I'll use 4low?

while not the up hill climb with a trailer the op is describing, and my experience limited to wikipedia on white rim road, you can probably do sections in 2WD if its just loose gravel. I can only describe it as you'll know it when you see it need for 4Lo.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/593-white-rim-road-usa.html

on the google earth view on that page i'd be in 4Lo fast idling up the hill but at the bottom along the flat 2WD, personally. By all means experiment and watch your trans and oil temp of lo vs hi. That said i'm sure my minivan could pull up that section if it had the clearance to get over the big rocks between the tracks but i'm sure the temp would start to spike. Now might also be a good time to consider skid plates and how running boards are not rock rails.

The negative for 4hi all the time is the increase in fuel consumption (relevant) and binding (less relevant on road surface described as loose).

with many exceptions, generally if your doing sub 10 mph 4Lo is probably a better choice if there is a incline or decline involved or large diameter material your traversing. Its really about keeping your transmission oil temps ( or any other related fluid) low such that your torque converter is locked up and not generating excess heat. If you were Jeepin and you had a 42rle trans without the trans cooler plumbed into inrad cooling, you would learn what too hot it is pretty quick. Especially if your a size or two up on your tires without regearing.

The added nature of crawling over a washout instead of bouncing when its difficult to modulate throttle in hi range is a great bonus for comfort and control. Does a great job at braking downhill too.

read your owners manual on proper procedure for switching if it isn't electrically shifted (button vs lever). Our work 2500's are manual gear case and generally a slow roll @ 1-2 mph with trans in N while shifting is the safest way to get in 4lo.

NB: https://traildamage.com/reports/white_rim-060328/
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/white-rim-trail

doesn't seem too extreme given the comments and vehicles that have made it through. Looks like a fun trip.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
while not the up hill climb with a trailer the op is describing, and my experience limited to wikipedia on white rim road, you can probably do sections in 2WD if its just loose gravel. I can only describe it as you'll know it when you see it need for 4Lo.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/593-white-rim-road-usa.html

on the google earth view on that page i'd be in 4Lo fast idling up the hill but at the bottom along the flat 2WD, personally. By all means experiment and watch your trans and oil temp of lo vs hi. That said i'm sure my minivan could pull up that section if it had the clearance to get over the big rocks between the tracks but i'm sure the temp would start to spike. Now might also be a good time to consider skid plates and how running boards are not rock rails.

The negative for 4hi all the time is the increase in fuel consumption (relevant) and binding (less relevant on road surface described as loose).

with many exceptions, generally if your doing sub 10 mph 4Lo is probably a better choice if there is a incline or decline involved or large diameter material your traversing. Its really about keeping your transmission oil temps ( or any other related fluid) low such that your torque converter is locked up and not generating excess heat. If you were Jeepin and you had a 42rle trans without the trans cooler plumbed into inrad cooling, you would learn what too hot it is pretty quick. Especially if your a size or two up on your tires without regearing.

The added nature of crawling over a washout instead of bouncing when its difficult to modulate throttle in hi range is a great bonus for comfort and control. Does a great job at braking downhill too.

read your owners manual on proper procedure for switching if it isn't electrically shifted (button vs lever). Our work 2500's are manual gear case and generally a slow roll @ 1-2 mph with trans in N while shifting is the safest way to get in 4lo.

NB: https://traildamage.com/reports/white_rim-060328/
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/white-rim-trail

doesn't seem too extreme given the comments and vehicles that have made it through. Looks like a fun trip.
Thanks for all the good advice, I was online this morning and bought a skid plate kit. It looks like most will be in 2wd, some deep sand in a few areas and some inclines and declines that should make it interesting. Thanks again for the advice.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
This is my Rig; to long to take off-road? Manual floor shifter for my 4x4, 410's, got chains for the rear, hi-jack, recovery strap rated at 30k, shovel, extra oil and filter for emergencies. Anything else you guys recommend? I got plenty of food and beer. Lol

20170822_190526.jpg

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We got same truck at work, more or less. remove your front air dam before the trip before you leave it on the trail. Skids would be my biggest concern for that trail. Longer term, wheel well liners will keep the frame from getting rusty. The rest of the stuff is related it to being a very long wheel base, hence skids being king. You already have front and rear recovery points provided you bring a pin for your receiver hitch to put the loop end in.

Unless your doing tires etc, I'd settle for a lighter strap (more elastic) for if a lighter vehicle is trying to pull you up an obstacle. It is very unlikely you'll need chains or the high lift, especially since the only place you can use the high lift is in the receiver tube on the rear.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
That is probably the best reference compiled on the subject.

enjoy your trip.

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Did wrt in 2000 with my Ford Ranger. Nice trail. I used 4low a lot, made for smoother going climbing up and over stuff instead of bouncing up and over. You might need to stack some rocks to climb up or down ledges with that long wheelbase. Just toss em to the side when you’re done. Have fun.

I wouldn’t worry about using 4 low on short pavement runs either.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Did wrt in 2000 with my Ford Ranger. Nice trail. I used 4low a lot, made for smoother going climbing up and over stuff instead of bouncing up and over. You might need to stack some rocks to climb up or down ledges with that long wheelbase. Just toss em to the side when you’re done. Have fun.

I wouldn’t worry about using 4 low on short pavement runs either.

Thanks for the tip, I actually made some rams out of 2''x12'' wood. Cut them in 4', 3', 2' and 1'', and then used wood screws to bolt them together. If I need a little more height I can deploy the ramps and get 8" more to get up-over.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is my Rig; to long to take off-road? Manual floor shifter for my 4x4, 410's, got chains for the rear, hi-jack, recovery strap rated at 30k, shovel, extra oil and filter for emergencies. Anything else you guys recommend? I got plenty of food and beer. Lol
View attachment 132119

I can't think of anyone ever needing an "emergency" oil and filter change. I have had emergency beer incidents though. :cheers:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Skid plates in, Air dampers off, flushed tranny, front + rear diff, T-case, oil + filter all done. 2 spare tires, home made ramps, recovery gear, tools, jumper cables, tarps, table, stove, gun, jacks, food. Doing 4560 miles in 13 days, Great Sand Dunes of Colorado, Canyon Lands National park, Bonniville Salt Flats and Yellow Stone National park.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I thought this was a Dodge forum.