4th Gen 32 Gal Fuel Tank Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I went and picked up my "32 gallon" fuel tank at local salvage. I got home and was cleaning it up and it just did not look bigger so I checked the part numbers and guess what the same. So I am pretty sure I have been sold a 26 gallon not a 32 gallon as invoice states. Can someone with 4th gen 1500 32 gallon look under there truck and see what part number for tank is on theirs. Please and thank you.
Here is the two I have clean one mine and dirty one the one they sold me.
187723f5-c528-70e9.jpg

187723f5-c540-ca1c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Eddie how did you find this great info?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Well, one, my family owns a 2500 CTD with a 32 gallon tank, so I can check. Second. I googled "55398507 Mopar" and the only result that came up was this. CHecked the PN for the 26 gal and yours matched. And took the 32 gal PN too.

Glad to help!

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Help Fellow 4th Gens

Well, one, my family owns a 2500 CTD with a 32 gallon tank, so I can check. Second. I googled "55398507 Mopar" and the only result that came up was this. CHecked the PN for the 26 gal and yours matched. And took the 32 gal PN too.

Glad to help!

You're smart I have been on this page before when I was given the part number by a vendor but then lost it so I had no idea how to get back. I found another 32 gallon tank 150 miles away so I'll have them verify part then drive. My local salvage does not seem to have one but maybe they just mixed them up or something so they actually do.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
well that sucks that they sold you the wrong one

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They let me return the one that was 26 gallons but did not have a 32 so the search is on again. I called a place in Aberdeen but same issue there they listed as 32 but it was a 26 so next closest is a town in Wisconsin which I will probably pursue because I want this damn tank.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Called Wisconsin they are researching.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wisconsin shipped it to me and installed yesterday as I put in another one of my threads. Pretty easy install I would recommend to anyone that wants 32 gallons of liquid gold for trips.

$miley

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bad news gas cap light came on. So I cleared it then check engine came on cleared it. Drove some more check engine came on again. Cleared it drove 300 miles then has cap light is back. I know it is probably not really the gas cap because it did not do it before I swapped fuel tank. The code is like 0440 evap emissions generic when check engine comes on so any know what else I could check. All hoses and vents seem tight and solid so I am thinking maybe something like dirt was missed and messed it up but not sure. I know I can drive with gas cap and that code but I do not want to in case something legit happened. I kind of put myself in a pickle on this as I had no issues before. Ah the modification woes.

$miley

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i bet the values are different for the tank pressure and the computer is programmed for the 26 gallon tank and now has a 32 gallon. too much valume and I bet it doesn't see the pressure it needs in the right amount of time so it thinks the gas cap is off

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I found this online at a mechanic help form
Weak Vacuum Test Large Leak Test P0440 A large leak, above .060 in. or blockage somewhere in the system
So I guess ill have to call and ask Chrysler if PCM is programmed based on fuel tank size or not. If not then I think I would have some blockage possibly.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did more research and I wonder if it this is my problem 2 vapor canister part numbers meaning the one I have is too small and won't work correctly with the 32 gallon since made for 26 gallon

1-2 of 2 Parts
EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION COMPONENTS / Vapor canister
Vapor canister 5.7 LITER, 26 gallon tank

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$115.00 $0.00 $81.30

EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION SYSTEM / EMISSION COMPONENTS / Vapor canister
Vapor canister 5.7 LITER, 32 gallon tank

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$110.00 $0.00 $77.41

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It was a bad leak detection pump figured it out myself and did not have to buy any parts just swapped with the one I had on my 26 gal tank. Canister is different but came with the tank. LDP is the same for both tanks.

holydiver89

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Quad Cab ST Brilliant Bright White 4x4 3.55
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is all very helpful i'm insterested in doing this myself glad you got it to work. Sorry to bomb you with questions i just have a few.. Any issues since you replaced the leak detector? Did the 32 gal. use the same OEM 26 gal. tank straps? Some people say they feel a jerk when they come to a stop with the 32 gal. tank, do you notice this? And if you don't mind me asking how much was the tank or how much should I expect to pay....the one on that website posted earlier was over $800 :Stupid Me: :mfr_omg: just for some plastic tank. Any feedback very appreciated.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Help Fellow 4th Gens

This is all very helpful i'm insterested in doing this myself glad you got it to work. Sorry to bomb you with questions i just have a few.. Any issues since you replaced the leak detector? Did the 32 gal. use the same OEM 26 gal. tank straps? Some people say they feel a jerk when they come to a stop with the 32 gal. tank, do you notice this? And if you don't mind me asking how much was the tank or how much should I expect to pay....the one on that website posted earlier was over $800 :Stupid Me: :mfr_omg: just for some plastic tank. Any feedback very appreciated.

No issues now works great.
No jerk when I stop. I got mine from salvage yard in Wisconsin and had it shipped for a total of $99 bucks. Used same straps as all the add capacity goes in front you do have to be careful as fuel like length differs by tank you have factory. I just slinked the extra hose over top of the tank.

$miley

holydiver89

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Quad Cab ST Brilliant Bright White 4x4 3.55
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect, thanks a lot for the info appreciate it! :waytogo:

Squeekers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey $miley.

Quick question about your fuel pump. Did you have to get a new/different pump for the 32 Gal. tank?

I'm looking to make the same mod on my 2010. I've got the 5'6" bed. Is that the same one you have?

Back to the fuel pump...Talking with the dodge dealership, they said that the fuel pump for the 26 Gal. tank and the 32 Gal. tank are different or at least have different part numbers. They were of no help in determining the possibility of the install and counld not confirm nor deny the fuel pump dilemma. I'd hate to get the tank and find out I need to spend $200 on a fuel pump.

Any thoughts? P.S. I don't have the flex fuel, I know for a fact those are different pumps.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed.
With how thirsty this pig is, I need more fuel on board when towing. Will probably still carry a jerry can but this mod would be wife approved.

Thanks Smiley!

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Help Fellow 4th Gens

Hey $miley.

Quick question about your fuel pump. Did you have to get a new/different pump for the 32 Gal. tank?

I'm looking to make the same mod on my 2010. I've got the 5'6" bed. Is that the same one you have?

Back to the fuel pump...Talking with the dodge dealership, they said that the fuel pump for the 26 Gal. tank and the 32 Gal. tank are different or at least have different part numbers. They were of no help in determining the possibility of the install and counld not confirm nor deny the fuel pump dilemma. I'd hate to get the tank and find out I need to spend $200 on a fuel pump.

Any thoughts? P.S. I don't have the flex fuel, I know for a fact those are different pumps.

I used the same pump no problem. They were different on third gens but on 4th gen they are the same pump all additional capacity is added to the front of the tank making it longer and not deeper. I did not even use a new gasket.

$miley