4th to 2nd gen ignition+ door switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgenconversions

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I am having to rebuild the wires in my 96 ram so i plan to use 09 and up switches eventually i know its possible because its just a switch i just need a wiring diagram for the 4th gen door switch
And i want to try to swap the ignitions out between a 2002 to a 2005 in my truck id prefer to just swap out the whole steering column with a 3rd or 4th gen i prefer 4th but atleast one of them is fine but does anyone know if its possible

OP
OP

4thgenconversions

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Yea but When is it not i can handle the switches i just need a wiring diagram and the ignition or steering column i just need to know if thats possible

OP
OP

4thgenconversions

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
and what do you think about the 4th gen steering column swap

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
It can most certainly be done, but be extremely careful in that wiring. If you mess up something the air bag will go off on you.

OP
OP

4thgenconversions

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
so do you happen to mean the column 4th or 3rd gen? Or the ignition? Not too new at wiring just not sure what part you were saying could be done and sorry it took so long for a response my wifi went down i appreciate the help

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
With custom fabrication anything is technically possible.

OP
OP

4thgenconversions

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
How about without fabrication or how much fab work would it take to do the 4th gen steering column

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't imagine it'd be an easy swap for the steering column. Majority of the newer trucks have EVERYTHING ran off the ECU, meaning the wiring off the ignition switch might not run to the same places as a 2nd gen. Wires may not run to solenoids, they would all run to an ECU and might not send the same signals as to what you'll need. Not to mention the air bags will surely be different, which would require to to probably install your 2nd gen air bag into the new steering wheel, and even then it might not deploy properly. In my opinion you're just asking for problems.

I saw a 3rd gen column in a 2nd gen a while back, I imagine it wouldn't be AS hard to do, but I don't really see the point of doing it myself. The most advanced I've gotten with anything on mine was getting a second one touch switch for the passenger window on my drivers door. That was a simple plug and play.

OP
OP

4thgenconversions

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I wouldnt really even mind just swapping the steering wheel from a 4th to the 2nd or atleast the 3rd i just would need to know how with either im not real concerned with airbags because in my experiece they have never worked in any dodge my family have had anyways brand new or old