4WD Lock or 4WD Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to pile on here, but if I was till doing 50 mile commutes on not the best maintained sometimes slushy interstate roads where there are lane changes (these need to be well planned), this would tick me off. I wouldn't be able to power through a slush pile built up between lanes with the type of auto case used in the RAM. There is no power driving the front wheels so hydroplaning would be intense. In fact in any situation, actively powered tires have much less tendency to hydroplane. Some other auto cases preload the front axle which is better. Locking the axles together and letting the tires slip to mitigate windup works best, for that situation. I know, another 0.1%, but its the difference in retaining control and off into a ditch or worse.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not to pile on here, but if I was till doing 50 mile commutes on not the best maintained sometimes slushy interstate roads where there are lane changes (these need to be well planned), this would tick me off. I wouldn't be able to power through a slush pile built up between lanes with the type of auto case used in the RAM. There is no power driving the front wheels so hydroplaning would be intense. In fact in any situation, actively powered tires have much less tendency to hydroplane. Some other auto cases preload the front axle which is better. Locking the axles together and letting the tires slip to mitigate windup works best, for that situation. I know, another 0.1%, but its the difference in retaining control and off into a ditch or worse.
You maintain control by slowing down a little, then hitting the gas quick to engage the front axle, power through whatever and then let off again. If you just keep the power down it is not as bad. However if you are constantly speeding up and slowing down (like when you are essentially weaving in and out of cars on a 4 lane interstate because they are spread across 4 lanes doing 30 it is not good. Every single time you let off and then get back into the gas the back end slides out just a little. Some people claim theirs doesn't disengage until they stop but mine would disengage everytime I regained traction.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Some people claim theirs doesn't disengage until they stop but mine would disengage everytime I regained traction.

I swear mine would do the same thing. But i heard others say it should stay engaged until stopping, so I just dont know.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In 4auto mine will engage and disengage constantly on demand of pedal, not wheel spin. I can hear and feel it when the fronts are on.

in 4-hi when it engages it stays engaged till I stop.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
The problem is it is not AWD it is sad excuse for 4X4 lock. If it was AWD like the Durango it would be really good but it isn’t. It is not smart like actual AWD and it is really a lie to paying customers since you can’t lock it like a traditional 4WD or even an older Auto case like mine by NVG which worked well but still not as good as the Durango had in my 05. Deceptive and should be specified to the buyer.

So if it was AWD like a SUV it would be perfect? Case in point buy a SUV or car if you want AWD. Or maybe if the SUV was a truck out would be perfect.

Don't blame ram, they are making a profit selling soccer moms these trucks. They are filling the void fulfilling a need apparent a lot of buyers want.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So if it was AWD like a SUV it would be perfect? Case in point buy a SUV or car if you want AWD. Or maybe if the SUV was a truck out would be perfect.

Don't blame ram, they are making a profit selling soccer moms these trucks. They are filling the void fulfilling a need apparent a lot of buyers want.

The 2nd Gen Durango was truck based body on frame and could tow about the same as a Ram 1500. AWD is very good system especially with 4WD lock like the Durango had. It was literally the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven on ice and snow. I have no problem with soccer Mom Rams as you call them as most people do not need to tow more than 10k and if they do the 2500 is a good fit. Why should someone have to get a 2500 to get a capable 4WD though? I don’t see that as a good thing and that is what bugs me about this transfer case mess. I will probably be getting a Suburban or equivalent because FCA doesn’t make something big enough for my family in the SUV or pickup category.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
The 2nd Gen Durango was truck based body on frame and could tow about the same as a Ram 1500. AWD is very good system especially with 4WD lock like the Durango had. It was literally the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven on ice and snow. I have no problem with soccer Mom Rams as you call them as most people do not need to tow more than 10k and if they do the 2500 is a good fit. Why should someone have to get a 2500 to get a capable 4WD though? I don’t see that as a good thing and that is what bugs me about this transfer case mess. I will probably be getting a Suburban or equivalent because FCA doesn’t make something big enough for my family in the SUV or pickup category.

Is the 1500 rebel not capable? I believe the tradesman comes with a standard old fashion transfer case. The options are out there. Someone has problems with soccer mom pickups.......

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Is the 1500 rebel not capable? I believe the tradesman comes with a standard old fashion transfer case. The options are out there. Someone has problems with soccer mom pickups.......

So why does a consumer have to choose the lesser trims to be able to get the good transfer case? Sport, Laramie, Longhorn, & Limited should all have the good one too but they don’t. To me that is a miss. I may not have much need to tow more than 10k much but I do have the need for locking 4WD that actually locks. You can defend it if you like but if more people complained they would give the option or make the ****** one die.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I swear mine would do the same thing. But i heard others say it should stay engaged until stopping, so I just dont know.

Mine feels this way as well...maybe depending when the truck was built or the TC was made they received different tuning????? IDK.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So why does a consumer have to choose the lesser trims to be able to get the good transfer case? Sport, Laramie, Longhorn, & Limited should all have the good one too but they don’t. To me that is a miss. I may not have much need to tow more than 10k much but I do have the need for locking 4WD that actually locks. You can defend it if you like but if more people complained they would give the option or make the ****** one die.

living in the far north of nj, 15 min fro NY state and Pa as well as working in a hospital where weather is not a reason to miss a shift, my 4wd with auto has always with out fail got me to work. i have a wrangler to get me to my fishing holes. i have no doubt when my truck is about 10 years old and beat up a bit my truck will get m to most of my fishing spots, a couple places the trail is to narrow.
keep in mind there is some skill needed in certain conditions regardless of transfer case.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
living in the far north of nj, 15 min fro NY state and Pa as well as working in a hospital where weather is not a reason to miss a shift, my 4wd with auto has always with out fail got me to work. i have a wrangler to get me to my fishing holes. i have no doubt when my truck is about 10 years old and beat up a bit my truck will get m to most of my fishing spots, a couple places the trail is to narrow.
keep in mind there is some skill needed in certain conditions regardless of transfer case.
Skill doesn't mean much when the clutch in your transfer case is cooked.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Consumers have the broadest choice of models with abilities. They can get a base, standard or luxury model of a power wagon. Lockers, winch and disconnecting sway bar while the capacity of a 1500 in both towing and payload. What's more capable from the factory.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
living in the far north of nj, 15 min fro NY state and Pa as well as working in a hospital where weather is not a reason to miss a shift, my 4wd with auto has always with out fail got me to work.

There are tens of thousands of them in use in the far North.

j cal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pulled out a Ford that was stuck in mud in 4lo, just above idle

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, my nurse daughter's front wheel drive Saab has always, without fail, got her to work and back in Maine.

The frustration is that the Ram transfer case has a lock position which you would think means locked. For some lock is important. One would not know that the RAM case doesn't truly lock without reading these forums. RAM seems to be hiding that their lock and auto are the same. Just an extra label on the dial. They probably done that to save a few bucks on knob/switch design, but in the end its deceptive.... don't you think? One can rationalize it all you want, but to mislead consumers is not right.

BakedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know if I change out my shifter module to one that includes the 4wd auto option, do I need to do anything else or will it work as installed?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know if I change out my shifter module to one that includes the 4wd auto option, do I need to do anything else or will it work as installed?

It requires an entirely different transfer case to work as well. It just isn’t a button on the dash.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a correction to my post above, for whatever its worth. The lock position does lock the front axle haves together and applies a bit of preload on the transfer clutch pack. Not full lock, but provides quicker torque transfer than the auto position. Auto seems to wait for wheel spin tp be detected before engaging the front axle lock and clutch pack. Control software may vary from year to year, however.