4WD - Low/Lock Shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a a quick question. With winter around the corner (and snow today), what is the proper way to engage 4WD Low and Lock?

I tried to engage 4WD Low, but the light started to blink and the dash told me to put the truck in neutral. Then it gave a message ECS off. Not sure if that is supposed to happen or not. Also, can you drive normal speeds/highway in 4WD Low?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Need to be stopped and in neutral before putting it in 4 low.
Its not meant for high speeds I would use 4 high for that.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maximum speed in 4WD Low is around 20-30 mph for a short distance.
For snow conditions you use either 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock.
You may use 4WD Low if you should get stuck in snow (or any other slippery ground)
or have to drive very slowly a very slippery road for a longer distance.
Don't use 4WD lock or particularly 4WD Low on non slippery roads as you will damage the 4WD system.
For this reason driving on partially snowy roads 4WD Auto should work better as it activates automatically if one (or more) wheel slip.
Best is if you do some tests on a wide open space (empty shopping mall parking for example) to get used of how your system works (best)
Chris

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may use 4WD Low if you should get stuck in snow (or any other slippery ground)
Don't use 4WD lock or particularly 4WD Low on non slippery roads as you will damage the 4WD system.
For this reason driving on partially snowy roads 4WD Auto should work better as it activates automatically if one (or more) wheel slip.
Best is if you do some tests on a wide open space (empty shopping mall parking for example) to get used of how your system works (best)
Chris

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Chris

I was just asking about the 4WD Auto feature.... can this be left on all the time? Is there any issues that could be caused by leaving it on? Or should it only be used in bad weather/roads....?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was just asking about the 4WD Auto feature.... can this be left on all the time? Is there any issues that could be caused by leaving it on? Or should it only be used in bad weather/roads....?

That can be left on all the time. It might cause a very small hit in mpg but nothing big. Just a few tenths of mpg tops

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
That can be left on all the time. It might cause a very small hit in mpg but nothing big. Just a few tenths of mpg tops

Good to know, thanks. I've wondered about this all year! ;)