5.7 hemi milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A Magnaflo muffler will get you +1-2 mpgs.

Can I buy your muffler from you?? :)

No way you get that much improvement. You'd be lucky to see 10% of that if any at all.

With all the constraints manufacturers are under to produce fuel efficient vehicles why wouldn't they put that "magic" muffler on the trucks if such a thing existed?

Driving like a Granny I agree with for sure and, as South Texan mentions, winter blend fuel kills these trucks. I know everyone is looking for that magic bullet to make full size trucks get Prius mpgs but it just doesn't exist.... yet anyway.

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
I had a 2013 ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.7. Around town I got about 12-13 mpg, but on the hi way it was much better. With 25,000 miles on the truck we went from Illinois to Arizona unloaded and drove between 65 and 75 mph for the whole trip. We consistently got 18-19 mpg on 87 octane.

We bought a new fifth wheel and traded for a 2016 6.4 4x4.....what a disappointment in mpg compared to the 5.7......if I get 15 hi way I'm surprised. Ugh.

18-19mpg!! was this trip all downhill?

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Can I buy your muffler from you?? :)

No way you get that much improvement. You'd be lucky to see 10% of that if any at all.

With all the constraints manufacturers are under to produce fuel efficient vehicles why wouldn't they put that "magic" muffler on the trucks if such a thing existed?

Driving like a Granny I agree with for sure and, as South Texan mentions, winter blend fuel kills these trucks. I know everyone is looking for that magic bullet to make full size trucks get Prius mpgs but it just doesn't exist.... yet anyway.

Well the experience I had with the Magnaflo was on a Power Wagon with 4.56 gears, and it did add about 1-2 mpg's but we are talking about 10-11 to 12-13... so who knows.

I did read somebody else that said he got .5 to 1.5 more on his 6.4. I'll let you know soon because I'm getting the mufflex unit as soon as the funds materialize. (May be a while.) :)

I'm not looking for 40 MPG's, but +1 mpg on a truck that gets 10mpg's is a 10% (!!!!) increase. :naughty:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My best ever was 17.2 over 260 miles with the cruise between 55-60 mph.

Stephenmars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 14' 1500 5.7, based on the trip computer i was getting just over 17 city/freeway (15 mile commute each way, with traffic in the evenings.) I installed an AFE intake and it got up to 18.5-19 on the next two tanks. Inatalled a magnaflow blackseries and it dropped back to 17.5 on the next couple tanks. I've been dilligent about not enjoying the pickup and sound from the intake and exhaust. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Been looking in to getiing a tuner, but seems like I can't find any good evidence of increased fuel ecomomy, just the power/acceleration boost,

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have 14' 1500 5.7, based on the trip computer i was getting just over 17 city/freeway (15 mile commute each way, with traffic in the evenings.) I installed an AFE intake and it got up to 18.5-19 on the next two tanks. Inatalled a magnaflow blackseries and it dropped back to 17.5 on the next couple tanks. I've been dilligent about not enjoying the pickup and sound from the intake and exhaust. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Been looking in to getiing a tuner, but seems like I can't find any good evidence of increased fuel ecomomy, just the power/acceleration boost,

Moe's claims an increase on their shop trucks. Most people can't keep their foot out of it when the have intake/exhaust/tuner installed, so they see mileage losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
18-19mpg!! was this trip all downhill?

Nope....Illinois to Arizona and back....I didn't believe the lie-o-meter so I hand calculated the mpg and it was within 1 mpg....:favorites13:

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks much for the replies. I was incorrect in the rpm. It's closer to 2000. I did get a little better coming home from my trip over the weekend but still only about 11.5. Again this seems normal so I'll just deal with it. Just was concerned something was wrong but it seems ok. Thanks all. Hoping I can enjoy this truck.

drive 5.4 f250 from time to time.....stepping on the 5.7 should put a smile on your face everytime....mine does

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just added a MBRP single Cat-Back and a BullyDog Tuner to my '11 5.7L recently and altho I'm going to be talking in Metric, I have seen some good results. I have a leveling kit and 265/60 tires.

Bone stock I usually run 21-23L/100km. Which I think is around 10mpg.
With the exhaust installed(after I got over the heavy foot) I was getting 19L/100km. Roughly over 12mpg.
I just got the basic canned tune loaded up and made a 500km trip on Saturday and averaged 17L/100km. That's close to 14mpg. And the return trip with the tune included driving home with a quad for my daughter in the back. That's the wife, two kids, ramps, a floor jack and a mid-size quad. I'd like to see what I get with the tonneau cover on and riding fairly empty.

These are hand calculated results. My truck ended up being within 1.5L/100km. Pretty close I'd say. Altho I wasn't known for my mathematical skills in highschool.

So far I'm pretty happy. I can't do much more than 65mph otherwise mileage blows. So I'm not making up too much time when going anywhere. I can tip the needle past 70mph with a tailwind otherwise you have to keep it on the speed limit. I can't wait to have some time to dial in the tuner a little better. The real test will be when I load up the sleddeck and a couple sleds with the enclosed dragging behind. I hope it doesn't dip too far below 10mpg.