5.7 hemi oil loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The last few oil changes i've lost about a quart every 3000-4000 miles. I see no smoke or leaks anywhere, any ideas on what may be causing this, and how serious is this? Thanks

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How serious it is depends on where it is actually going. It should be investigated. How many miles?

OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just got over 100K few weeks ago

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start by cleaning under and around the engine really well so you can see any leaks clearly. If it's not leaking, it must be burning. Does it smoke at all at start up?

OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it may a tiny bit when it starts up, but been kinda hard to tell bc its been so cold outside

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're sure its not leaking, start with a comp. check. Could be valve issue too. Its not evaporating. LOL

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Look at the tec bul for these trucks and you will be shocked in what they consider "normal" oil consumption. Up to 2 quarts per 3,000 miles is still in the ok area to the dealership bul. A change in oil may show less loss just keep that info in the back of your head.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Look at the tec bul for these trucks and you will be shocked in what they consider "normal" oil consumption. Up to 2 quarts per 3,000 miles is still in the ok area to the dealership bul. A change in oil may show less loss just keep that info in the back of your head.

Exactly, some consumption is normal even in a healthy engine. I would consider up to a litre per 5000km normal especially when driven hard. And yes, oil does evaporate, thats what noack ratings are for.
And just to give an example (of something ridiculous) i was actually reading a service bull for bmw oil consumption the other day and they 1 quart per 750 miles is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. They suggest placing a quart of bmw approved oil in the trunk so the client will not have to worry about finding the right oil when needed.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Exactly, some consumption is normal even in a healthy engine.

My 07 1500 QC 4x4 Sport with the 5.7 and Tow Package has done this since new pretty much.

Especially when used a lot with the Tow/Haul mode on and freeway driving.

Mine too has just rolled 100k miles and has ZERO leaks. It also does not smoke. I suspect it is sucking past the valve guides when engine braking, but have no real proof of that.

Other than that, it runs great. I just pour in a quart or so between scheduled oil changes. No worries.

OP
OP
M&Ms4D

M&Ms4D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the input

BOHICA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has done the same since I got it (at 22K, currently 60K). I've been using Mobil 1 and thought it was just mine with this. Looks like there is nothing to worry about.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Though it sounds contradictory, my experience has shown, on multiple vehicles, if you use "Good" oil, it tends to use more of it.

I too use Top Fully Synthetic oils and it does seem to be consumed more quickly than regular "Dino Oils".

The downside to the increased protection from friction and heat is that it also makes it's way past seals, rings, and gaskets and "creeps" around when warm, leaving a oily film, rather than drips and puddles (especially in older rigs with looser clearances on all items listed) .

So, you'll see a small increase in MPG, and much longer service intervals. This probably makes the small consumption even more obvious.

If you were changing oil every 3k miles, you probably not even notice much loss on the dipstick. But, as these good fluids allow you to push your maintenance intervals out to 7k to 10k miles or more, you will notice more of it missing.

One should always keep an eye on the oil level regardless. But, we get lazy and forget the "old" days, where fluid consumption, massive leaks and blue smoke were just the norm. Especially on the old big blocks in hard working trucks of the past. Everyone used to just carry quarts of oil, trans fluid, rags and funnels around all the time, as they needed a 'top off' with every fuel stop.

Long story short, it is perfectly acceptable.