5.7 Hemi swap for a 6.4 Hemi into a 07 1500 QC LB 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matzram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it sounds silly, maybe even a little insane. But I love my truck. Yes it’s an 07 quad cab long bed 1500. You don’t see that many of them, well at least I don’t. And you can’t even get a 1500 crew cab long bed anymore, unless it’s a 3rd gen or a 2500. Okay so what are your all’s thoughts? Can it be done? Has it ever been done? Is it a waste of time? Or am I just that crazy?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Are you talking about swapping in a newer 6.4 Hemi, or building your own? The newer hemis have Variable Valve Timing (VVT) which will need dealt with, and a bunch of other odd ball things that will come up with. Now with that being said, the 2009 2500 was a 3rd gen body style that had the newer motors installed in them. There may be some possibilities of getting the wire harness and computers from them and it might work in your 07.
Now you really need to think about costs. Exactly how much is your budget, and how good of a mechanic are you? This will be a full blown project, nothing it gonna be simple.
My opinion is build what you have. My truck is an 03 with a 392 stroker, I built it myself and it’s finally getting to the point I have some real power. I got a lot more upgrades to go in but it’s been a fun project. But I’m promising you it’s gonna be between $5,000-$10,000 when it’s all said and done. You can have try to save some money and do it cheaply but in the long run you will probably have problems. Let alone trying to find a 6.4 motor for a decent price is half the battle. And then after all that you are gonna have to deal with the weak transmission in your own truck, that’s a whole different ca of worms that gets even more expensive

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chris has a 5.7 based 392 stroker in his qcsb 4x4, Soooo if the difference is just a foot an a half of longer bed I’d say can’t be much different than what he did

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can put a newer 6.4L truck engine into your vehicle fairy easily without the need to swap the engine harness. You will need to run a phaser lock in the camshaft's phaser assembly to stop the VVT, then you can either leave the VVT solenoid in place or make a block plate for it. The reluctor wheel is also a different tooth count so you'd either have to order the engine with the proper reluctor or pull the crank and swap to the proper tone ring. After that, everything else is the same and it will physically just drop into place. The intake and exhaust ports are different shape so you'd either need to run a set of shorty headers with a custom midpipe or I ported my current 5.7L headers to match the port shape (6.4L exhaust ports are the same as the 5.7L Eagle heads).

The other way to do it is to run a 5.7L based stroker kit.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You can put a newer 6.4L truck engine into your vehicle fairy easily without the need to swap the engine harness. You will need to run a phaser lock in the camshaft's phaser assembly to stop the VVT, then you can either leave the VVT solenoid in place or make a block plate for it. The reluctor wheel is also a different tooth count so you'd either have to order the engine with the proper reluctor or pull the crank and swap to the proper tone ring. After that, everything else is the same and it will physically just drop into place. The intake and exhaust ports are different shape so you'd either need to run a set of shorty headers with a custom midpipe or I ported my current 5.7L headers to match the port shape (6.4L exhaust ports are the same as the 5.7L Eagle heads).

The other way to do it is to run a 5.7L based stroker kit.

What brand of headers did you port? I would really hate to have to get new longtubes, I already have pacesetters. I’m planning on the eagle head swap

I Bleed Ram Trucks

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
What brand of headers did you port? I would really hate to have to get new longtubes, I already have pacesetters. I’m planning on the eagle head swap

I Bleed Ram Trucks

I port matched my ARH when I did the Eagle head swap. Laid the new exhaust gasket over the header, marked the new port shape, reamed it out by hand then sanded down to a 320 finish. Just have to be careful not to grind through the welds or you’d have to get them welded on the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Seymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 0 8 15 100 quad cab with the 6 and a 1/2 foot bed. It also has the 5.7 w vvt. You can get the plugs to replace the relays to shut down the vvt.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have an 0 8 15 100 quad cab with the 6 and a 1/2 foot bed. It also has the 5.7 w vvt. You can get the plugs to replace the relays to shut down the vvt.

I think you are talking about MDS where it shuts off the 4 cylinders for fuel savings. The VVT is something completely different, it’s only on the 09 and newer motor. It basically changes the cam timing as needed for performance.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
M

Matzram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I was just wondering if it’s actually possible. My 5.7 2007 has MDS. I’d love to have a diesel but let’s face it, not everyone is rich, and I can’t afford a new truck. BTW mine is paid off. But I’d like to get the 6.4. And that’s a new truck so that’s not gonna happen but I might find a wrecked one for a decent price. So maybe I’ll get lucky and get the transmission to. And it’s gonna cost over 10k if I’m swapping for a Cummins. So that ideas out.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’m easily up to 10k in my 6.4 build haha and just chugging right past that and going for 15k

I Bleed Ram Trucks

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a kit an spray the house down on that ***** it will hold lol
I’m easily up to 10k in my 6.4 build haha and just chugging right past that and going for 15k

I Bleed Ram Trucks

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Get a kit an spray the house down on that ***** it will hold lol

Lol I’ve definitely thought about it, I really want a turbo whistle though [emoji41]

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Yeah, that's MDS and you can't just pull the solenoids to disable it. If you just pull the solenoids half the lifters will collapse. The MDS specific lifters have to be replaced if the solenoids are removed.

Well I was just wondering if it’s actually possible. My 5.7 2007 has MDS. I’d love to have a diesel but let’s face it, not everyone is rich, and I can’t afford a new truck. BTW mine is paid off. But I’d like to get the 6.4. And that’s a new truck so that’s not gonna happen but I might find a wrecked one for a decent price. So maybe I’ll get lucky and get the transmission to. And it’s gonna cost over 10k if I’m swapping for a Cummins. So that ideas out.

As you can see, 6.4 will not be an easy drop in for an 07. That newer transmission you're talking about definitely won't bolt in or function in your truck without a shop that REALLY knows what it's doing to attempt to integrate it.

Greg Seymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have replaced all parts in my 5.7. I guess I am confused with the MDS system. is that the 4 solenoids under the intake that I had to put plugs in? what do they do? I was told by the machine shop that that was VVT.

Greg Seymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did not know the difference between the MDS and VVT. I have done away with it altogether. What prob. will I have to overcome if I want to put it in my 13 1500. it has a 5.7 also. The 08 now has a 392 stroker and twin turbos waiting for a home.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have replaced all parts in my 5.7. I guess I am confused with the MDS system. is that the 4 solenoids under the intake that I had to put plugs in? what do they do? I was told by the machine shop that that was VVT.

MDS = Multi Displacement System, shuts off the same four cylinders when certain conditions are met for fuel economy. Did you replace the lifters as well? If you just pulled the solenoids without replacing the lifters the MDS lifters will collapse and you will only run on four cylinders. Your machine shop is wrong.

I did not know the difference between the MDS and VVT. I have done away with it altogether. What prob. will I have to overcome if I want to put it in my 13 1500. it has a 5.7 also. The 08 now has a 392 stroker and twin turbos waiting for a home.

VVT = Variable Valve Timing, varies timing by means of a phaser on the front of the cam.

Put what in your '13? That '08 stroker? Not gonna happen unless you got lotsa money or know how and capability lol.

Greg Seymour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008, 2009, 2012, 2013
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced everything except the rocker arms. Is there a way to tune without the VVT. I did change the Cam and lifters. I am not sure. That is why I am asking to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01