5.7 hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2010 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi, and the ticking is louder than normal from what i remeber on my 2006 ram. Should i be concerned? I have 120K on this 2010 ram.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
USMC or Army? Vet out of Ft Jackson here.

I have a 2010 as well, started ticking at 3500 miles. I ended my tick with redline oil and a royal purple filter. Do a search, there are reasons why this combo has been successful. Before you do that, rule out exhaust bolts, they can sound the same. Put hemi tick in the search bar, there are probably 100 threads on it.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm at Ft Jackson now. Not an Army vet though. I've noticed my 09 has a bit of a tick after the oil change, but it goes away after warm up. I'm pretty sure I have at least one broken exhaust bolt too.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
USMC or Army? Vet out of Ft Jackson here.

I have a 2010 as well, started ticking at 3500 miles. I ended my tick with redline oil and a royal purple filter. Do a search, there are reasons why this combo has been successful. Before you do that, rule out exhaust bolts, they can sound the same. Put hemi tick in the search bar, there are probably 100 threads on it.

Hey bro, Army infantry. 3rd ID got blown up in Afghanistan. I checked for exaust leaks, zero found. I mainly notice the ticking when i first start truck. Once it warms up, it goes away.
What weight redline oil?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Thank you for your service.

As Burla mentioned above, check for exhaust manifold bolts leaks - if none bolts are broken, then it could be something in the engine (in general terms without speculating too much). Your options would be to:

a). tear down the engine and start replacing thing such as lifters and cam ... just speculating here, but those are frequent issues in hemi's. This is probably not a great option if truck drives fine and CEL present.

b). Don't do anything - and wait to see if something may break eventually - if it does break, then most likely CEL will light up and give you a hint... then you can do the (a.) option.

c). option is to not do anything and just drive it... there's also a chance that it will be making all sorts of sounds/noises and will continue to run until 200k+ miles.

You can try Redline oil and see if that'll quiet it down... a cheap solution to make it quieter (can't guarantee that it'll solve all problems, but quieter engine isn't a bad thing). We run 5-30 Redline and royal purple filter. It doesn't help everyone though so not a silver bullet. My truck still has slight hemi tick.

good luck!

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your service.

As Burla mentioned above, check for exhaust manifold bolts leaks - if none bolts are broken, then it could be something in the engine (in general terms without speculating too much). Your options would be to:

a). tear down the engine and start replacing thing such as lifters and cam ... just speculating here, but those are frequent issues in hemi's. This is probably not a great option if truck drives fine and CEL present.

b). Don't do anything - and wait to see if something may break eventually - if it does break, then most likely CEL will light up and give you a hint... then you can do the (a.) option.

c). option is to not do anything and just drive it... there's also a chance that it will be making all sorts of sounds/noises and will continue to run until 200k+ miles.

You can try Redline oil and see if that'll quiet it down... a cheap solution to make it quieter (can't guarantee that it'll solve all problems, but quieter engine isn't a bad thing). We run 5-30 Redline and royal purple filter. It doesn't help everyone though so not a silver bullet. My truck still has slight hemi tick.

good luck!

Thanks, I will try the 5w30 oil. Im also looking into aftermarket warranties.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for your service brother, it mattered, glad you survived your injury.

5w30 or 0w30 depending on how cold it is there. We have a member that had better tick prevention with the 5w30. How is the coldest you got this year? Like Kap says, it is not 100%, but do us a favor and let the syn thread know if it worked or not.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would take the 5.7 hemi tick over the 6.4 injector tick.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my hemi tick update! First video taken in Nov . At the time of video I switched from.mobile one 5w20 to amsoil 5w20 noticed tic or noisy engine (many have said this isn't the hemi tick just exaggerated engine noise due to longtubes )video here
After this video I changed oil to redline 5w30

And today after only 200 miles since the oil change I think it sounds noticably better I think .....

Let me know what u guys think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your service brother, it mattered, glad you survived your injury.

5w30 or 0w30 depending on how cold it is there. We have a member that had better tick prevention with the 5w30. How is the coldest you got this year? Like Kap says, it is not 100%, but do us a favor and let the syn thread know if it worked or not.

Im in PA it coldest it has gotten this winter is 5 degrees.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w30 would be good, I'm actually running 10w30 in Ca next change. I will let you know how it goes as I also am keeping the tick away with redline. Currently 5w30 in my ram, and yes you can easily use 5w30 with those temps. I would start a little concern at -10, maybe then I would start thinking about zero winter rating because if it can go -10 it can go lower. At -20 I want zero winter rating. see visc chart, I like to be above this a bit, but you could even get away with 10w30.

Did you read the oil filter thread? good info there as well

MPb69.png

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my hemi tick update! First video taken in Nov . At the time of video I switched from.mobile one 5w20 to amsoil 5w20 noticed tic or noisy engine (many have said this isn't the hemi tick just exaggerated engine noise due to longtubes )video here
After this video I changed oil to redline 5w30

And today after only 200 miles since the oil change I think it sounds noticably better I think .....

Let me know what u guys think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was youres ticking on Mobil1 before the switch to Amsoil or only after switching to Amsoil?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I would take the 5.7 hemi tick over the 6.4 injector tick.
But the injector tic is not a problem. The viper engine had noisy injectors too. Hemi tic is a BIG problem that you dont want.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Iam running Redline 5w30 and the motor just runs so much smoother on it over the 5w20.
Your motor will thank you.