5.7 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedlined_Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 HO
Im on here because I own 2 rams. Both 2nd gens. 99 5.2 Magnum 5 speed and 02 5.9 Cummins 6 speed. Anyways I also own an 04 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi. 116,*** miles on her. Long story short engine is pulled, on the engine stand at work and time for rebuild. Questions for you guys. Im putting the time and money into it for a rebuild. I want some more balls to it. Not make it a stroker or anything that extreme. Mild cam? Port and polish the heads? Headers? What can I do without having to change the tune? Or who can I send it into be tuned with no emmision control problems. More or less a medium budget build. Thanks!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Welcome to RF. I am also in the middle of rebuilding the 5.7L in my '06 Ram. I decided to go with forged internals but stayed with the stock cam. If you decide to cam up then I believe you will need ported heads, upgraded intake, headers and a new tune.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Only off the self is a 6.1 stock cam. A comp 260 "can" but its not going to show its full potental. Only reason I said "can" is because there has been a few that would not idle. I would suggest getting custom tuned that way you have more you can do with it.

OP
OP
B

Bedlined_Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 HO
Thanks guys. So your saying it wouldnt pay doing just a cam? Say cam with port and polished heads. Then need to get the pcm tuned? Anybody have a good company for a tune?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever tuning. He'll do a custom tune made to whatever mods you have, and will work with you to diagnose problems.

The only thing is that with this being a Durango I don't know if it'll be different to tune.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to RF. I am also in the middle of rebuilding the 5.7L in my '06 Ram. I decided to go with forged internals but stayed with the stock cam. If you decide to cam up then I believe you will need ported heads, upgraded intake, headers and a new tune.

You don't "need" any of that to run most cams. Especially a "mild" cam. Use 6.1 springs and rods and you'll be good to go. You will need tuning for most cams.