5.7L engine oil temp over 220 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RingSteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No reason to cool it down, it's just higher than I expected for oil temp.
gj0Qh0V.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No reason to cool it down, it's just higher than I expected for oil temp.
gj0Qh0V.jpg
LMAO for hanging the speedo at 80 mph your oil temps aren't really that far out of line.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The boiling temp of water increases 3 deg for every one PSI, + or -.
However it takes a lot of BTUs to go from the boiling point so where the water flashes off into vapor: It takes about 180 BTUs for 1 pound of water to go from 32 deg to 212 deg. I say about because a BTU is defined as the heat needed to raise the temp of one lb. of water 1 deg from 60 to 61 deg, in one hour. It may take a tiny bit more or less at a lower or higher temp. this is called sensible heat ( cause you can sense it)
In order to boil that same lb. of water from 212 water to 212 steam another 970 BTUs are required. This is called the Latent heat of evaporation. Latent cause you cannot sense it as the temp does not change just the state.
Yawn.......
So if your running somewhere north of 215 oil temp you can be sure any moisture is gone.

Note: the amount of water, if any, in the oil is not enough ( Or should never be) to have any noticeable cooling effect on the oil as it evaporates.

My oil temp rarely goes above 200, I change the oil at 6k. I am not concerned with any condensation In my oil. If I had an older engine than I would be as older engines were more open to the atmosphere.

Yeah a bit bored at work today

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've made several recordings of the indicated temperatures for fairly long drives on my personal vehicle. First one when new at 1187 miles, the second at nearly 60,000 miles. Longer run time brings the temperatures to the extreme. Around town (short trip, etc.) they rarely get to max even in the summertime, except for coolant temp. The trips listed are the same highway and destination, although speed may have varied. The trip is a mix of flat and hilly terrain. On a day like yesterday with 0 degrees and a wind chill of -21 F, transmission temp never got beyond 118 F on a 18 mile run.

2014 Ram 1500 QC, 5.7. 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, 2-wheel drive

6/6/2014 – 001187m – ambient temp 87F – trip 135 minutes, 128 miles

Coolant 214 F

Oil – 218 F

Trans – 184 F

Press – 60 psi

6/17/2017 – 059670m – ambient temp 84F – trip 140 minutes, 128 miles

Coolant – 210 F

Oil – 212 F

Trans – 184 F

Press – 56 psi

Regards,
Dusty

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The boiling temp of water increases 3 deg for every one PSI, + or -.
However it takes a lot of BTUs to go from the boiling point so where the water flashes off into vapor: It takes about 180 BTUs for 1 pound of water to go from 32 deg to 212 deg. I say about because a BTU is defined as the heat needed to raise the temp of one lb. of water 1 deg from 60 to 61 deg, in one hour. It may take a tiny bit more or less at a lower or higher temp. this is called sensible heat ( cause you can sense it)
In order to boil that same lb. of water from 212 water to 212 steam another 970 BTUs are required. This is called the Latent heat of evaporation. Latent cause you cannot sense it as the temp does not change just the state.
Yawn.......
So if your running somewhere north of 215 oil temp you can be sure any moisture is gone.

Note: the amount of water, if any, in the oil is not enough ( Or should never be) to have any noticeable cooling effect on the oil as it evaporates.

My oil temp rarely goes above 200, I change the oil at 6k. I am not concerned with any condensation In my oil. If I had an older engine than I would be as older engines were more open to the atmosphere.

Yeah a bit bored at work today

Great info.
As for the older engines you have to go pretty far back since PVC ( positive crankcase ventilation) which is a closed system, started in the late 60's and was standard by 1970. Of course that old Metropolitan sitting in thr driveway still had a road draft tube...

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I've seen my oil temp get up to 261. When towing my camper, it's usually between 235-250. I'd like to lower it a little bit, but no issues so far. I'm running Pennzoil platinum 5w20.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen my oil temp get up to 261. When towing my camper, it's usually between 235-250. I'd like to lower it a little bit, but no issues so far. I'm running Pennzoil platinum 5w20.

I occasionally tow a 9500 lb. tractor and trailer for 125+ miles, some flat, some hilly terrain. According to my log the highest the oil temp has gotten was 239 F and I'm running the same oil and weight as you do. Looking at the Pennzoil spec sheet the blend is good for better than 280+, as most synthetics are.

Best regards,
Dusty

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Anyone tow with the efan? I have read that it doesn't push enough CFM to tow. I know the clutch fan pushes enough when the clutch locks in. Mine got stuck while towing and temps were low.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I've hit 275ish with mine going up a 7% grade from 1500 to 8300 feet. I use the same oil as you.

Tallboy2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just changed my oil for the first time, 2045 miles, idiotometer told me I was at 59% on oil
Put in 5-20 Mobil 1
I was running 213-218 on temp, 225 on hard acceleration
I want to see what Mobil 1 difference is made

Don’t judge me, I was blond in a former life

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've hit 275ish with mine going up a 7% grade from 1500 to 8300 feet. I use the same oil as you.
I hit the same temp going up the same kind of grade with 5w30 redline, so I'm thinking that's normal with these engines going up that steep of a grade. I was towing a 7000 pound trailer though in the summer in AZ....

Earl801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
OK, not entirely scientific, but this information may help. I had to run a few loads of gravel over the weekend, up a 6% grade for around 10 miles, where load weight estimated around 8,000 to 8,500 lbs. Ambient temp was around 40 degrees and I was in tow mode. I run Penzoil full synthetic and my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport has around 13K miles on it, powered by a 5.7 HEMI. Engine oil PSI was in the low 50s throughout these runs.

First Load

• Ran 4,200 RPM, which resulted in 60 MPH.
  • Engine oil reached 260 degrees about 6 miles up the hill and held there.
  • Coolant reached 225 degrees and held there.
Second Load

• Ran at 3,600 RPM, which resulted in 50 MPH.
  • Engine oil reached 260 degrees about 8 to 9 miles up the hill and held there.
Third Load

• Ran 3.200 RPM, which resulted in 45 MPH.
  • Engine oil reached 254 degrees at the top of the hill (and was still increasing prior to cresting the hill).
My conclusion is that, these engines are engineered to reach an engine oil temp 260 degrees and hold there, depending on the engine load requirements. At no point did the power derate, or the speed drop off, or any warning lights appear. I thought it was interesting, though, that the analog temp gauge didn't move at all throughout any of these trips. It stayed just left of center the entire time.

By the way, I have a boat with a GM Marine 6.2L Super Charged LSA. It doesn't matter what conditions I run it in, it runs at 210 degrees coolant temp. I don't have an engine oil temp gauge so can't tell you what that runs, but I think these newer engines just run hotter than older engines.

Hope this helps.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My conclusion is that, these engines are engineered to reach an engine oil temp 260 degrees and hold there, depending on the engine load requirements. At no point did the power derate, or the speed drop off, or any warning lights appear. I thought it was interesting, though, that the analog temp gauge didn't move at all throughout any of these trips. It stayed just left of center the entire time.

The lore from somebody purporting to have divine knowledge from inside Subaru was that gauges on modern vehicles are programmed to sit in one place as long as the thing they're measuring is within an acceptable range. The purpose of this is to stop hypochondriac owners from using up dealer shop time whenever the needle doesn't quite sit in the same spot they're used to seeing. I could see this as being true across all brands, for better or worse.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The lore from somebody purporting to have divine knowledge from inside Subaru was that gauges on modern vehicles are programmed to sit in one place as long as the thing they're measuring is within an acceptable range. The purpose of this is to stop hypochondriac owners from using up dealer shop time whenever the needle doesn't quite sit in the same spot they're used to seeing. I could see this as being true across all brands, for better or worse.

Heard this before as well.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
All this talk about the oil needing to be above water boiling temperature in order to get the moisture to boil out of the oil is not quite right. Water evaporates at temperatures below boiling as long as the temperature is above the dew point (which it is inside a running engine). Otherwise, after you wash your truck and put it in the garage, it would never dry (I know, you dry it before you put it away, but you know what I mean). Granted, it does evaporate out a lot quicker if you get the temperature above the water boiling point.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Btw on turbines and comps at the plant when we have a high bearing temperature we increase heat to the lube oil and the bearing temperature goes down

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I occasionally tow a 9500 lb. tractor and trailer for 125+ miles, some flat, some hilly terrain. According to my log the highest the oil temp has gotten was 239 F and I'm running the same oil and weight as you do. Looking at the Pennzoil spec sheet the blend is good for better than 280+, as most synthetics are.

Best regards,
Dusty
go amsoil mine ran cooler and a 195 t start got a 180 for summer to put on soon ! I use my turner to run ac fan all the time for sumer so now 200 on a 103 day here but usually runs 195 so nice running

miguelito_az

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've hit about 252 oil and 224 coolant going through some mountain grades in my warlock. No grille shutters on these like the 4th gen rebels because of the grille design.

Normal it'll sit around 200 coolant and 210-215 oil. Trans never gets higher than 190.

5w20 pennzoil ultra platinum.