5.9 cummins cuttin out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my cummins cuts out when it rains hard, it has an intake on it..could this be water getting into it? i was assuming it is cause it only does it when it rains.
is this normal and is there anything i can do about it? (besides putting the stock intake back on)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
No it is not normal .. if it is only when or after it rains it has to me a moisture issue in the intake . What kind do you have ?

Edit ,, seen it in your sig ,,

Hold tight the CTD guys will chime in soon

OP
OP
AJMAG

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok thank you, if thats the problem then i might just throw the stock intake back on and be done with it

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You can try that i guess

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Could be something with MAF. When it rains could it leak in the fuel filter or even a plugged fuel filter?

It would take a lot of water in the intake to really screw with a diesel.

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
I have been thinking an I am lost not sure an it only does it when it rains has to be the intake or a bad wire getting moisture between the contacts I am going to ask a friend of mine an see if he has a idea maybe

OP
OP
AJMAG

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
after the weekend im gonna throw the stock intake back on and either wait for rain or hammer through some puddles and see if it still does it..

MarbleCrusher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VP Cummins
when it cuts out do you notice anything funny going on with your gauges? Does the check engine light come on while it does this and have you checked for codes. Also does your current intake set up just feed from the box or does it have some sort of cold air function that gets air from up by the bumper or something?

-Jordan-

OP
OP
AJMAG

AJMAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
nothing weird with the gauges and no check engine, just a normal cold air...nothing up front by the bumper or anything

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Could be something with MAF. When it rains could it leak in the fuel filter or even a plugged fuel filter?

It would take a lot of water in the intake to really screw with a diesel.

Agreed... Since there is water/**** kits to spray water and **** in the intake to cool the EGT's.

I would be looking at electrical plugs and checking them to see if there is enough di-electric grease in them.

Remember no always will the CEL light pop on... You might check for error codes it might provide a clue...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Mine cuts out if I dont let her warm up , even in hot weather now that I think about it .