5.9 magnum rebuild cost.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know this may have been touched upon a number of times but I have a 2002 ram 5.9 magnum. Looking to have it rebuilt as it has 187,000 miles on it. Plus it has been an amazing truck and I don't want another payment for a good while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Rebuild cost is something that will vary greatly.

More important, if miles are the only reason you wish to rebuild, do a compression and leakdown test. Not unlikely that you'll find it to be pretty healthy yet. Mines been beaten pretty hard and it's still pretty healthy with 213k now

OP
OP
K

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Rebuild cost is something that will vary greatly.

More important, if miles are the only reason you wish to rebuild, do a compression and leakdown test. Not unlikely that you'll find it to be pretty healthy yet. Mines been beaten pretty hard and it's still pretty healthy with 213k now
That's what I figured. I'll put it out there this way. I'm the second owner of the truck and the first was my grandparents. My grandmother did the normal oil change and tire change routines.
After I bought it in 2009, I continued that plus did both the front and rear end oils too. She is losing oil between oil changes and I had the plenum checked and the mechanic said it's good to go without any leaks at 188,000 miles. The only big issues is the body

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
How much oil? There's no real good way to check the plenum without pulling it. Definitely possible it's fine but also that it isn't. Dodge called for a vacuum check but it is far from accurate.