545rfe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Anybody tried to see if a dealership would update the programming on the 545RFE to make it the "645RFE?" I know there isn't really any major difference, but on the 11s (and earlier maybe?) we lose the manual "6" gear, which is just TQ Conv lockup at high speeds, but does create a 500 RPM or so gap.

I doubt they will, but I just thought I would ask.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody tried to see if a dealership would update the programming on the 545RFE to make it the "645RFE?" I know there isn't really any major difference, but on the 11s (and earlier maybe?) we lose the manual "6" gear, which is just TQ Conv lockup at high speeds, but does create a 500 RPM or so gap.

I doubt they will, but I just thought I would ask.

You're not missing the TC lockup, that's not the manual 6th gear. 6th gear in the 65rfe is the same as 5th gear in the 545rfe, they're the same trans. The only difference is you can access 2p by manually upshifting, which you don't really want to anyway. Stay away from putting any power down in 2p and 4th, (3rd and 5th in the 65rfe).

545rfe 1st, 2nd, 2p, 3rd, 4th, 5th
65rfe 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
mmm, not true. There is a very long thread where Chaney, and I chatted about this.

My EVIC counts up exactly the same as yours starting with 1,2,3,4,5,D

2P does not come up, and when I hit - to go into manual the highest number displayed is 5. Hitting + takes me back to D. My tach also blips about 500 rpm.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mmm, not true. There is a very long thread where Chaney, and I chatted about this.

My EVIC counts up exactly the same as yours starting with 1,2,3,4,5,D

2P does not come up, and when I hit - to go into manual the highest number displayed is 5. Hitting + takes me back to D. My tach also blips about 500 rpm.

Gear 2p does not come up on your EVIC like you said. Your Evic does not count up the same as mine. Mine goes 1,2,3,4,5,6,D, 3 is 2p on my truck, but I can shift into 2p manually. That's the only difference. Your 5th gear is the same as my 6th gear. When our trucks are in D, they shift exactly the same. When you put it in D all you're seeing is the TC lockup drop RPMS, mine does the same when I put it in D from 6th. Your original post states you want the manual 6th gear programmed in, which is just the TC lockup. That's just not true.

Look at these gear ratios:

545rfe
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th 0.67:1
Reverse 3.00:1

65RFE
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
3rd 1.50:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.75:1
6th 0.67:1
Reverse 3.00:1

See? Same trans, but I can access the 1.50:1 gear manually, and you can't. It was done for marketing reasons to call it a 6 speed, but it's still the same old ****.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, if you wanna read a little about these transmissions, here's some links (I'm at work right now and I'm bored, lol)

The 45RFE, 545RFE, and 65RFE automatic transmission for Jeeps and Rams

Chrysler RFE transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some notable info:

The next six speed derived from the 545RFE was the 65RFE, used with V8 versions of the Ram 1500, Durango, and Grand Cherokee. The 65RFE only has six forward gears in ERS/AutoStick mode or kickdown mode; it is essentially a software and name change, which allows people to reach the “prime” gear via ERS as well as than kickdown. An internal Chrysler communiqué to dealers summarized the change in a similar fashion.

* On 545RFE, 3rd is only accessible via kickdown in some situations, and is referred to as “2 prime.”
On 65RFE, 3rd is only accessible via kickdown in some situations and use of manual override.

For the 2012 model year, the 545RFE was recalibrated and introduced as the 65RFE in 1500 Ram models. With the exception of an improved torque converter, it is physically the same as its predecessor. The key difference in the 65RFE is the ability to use all six forward gears in sequence when using Electronic Range Select mode. In normal drive mode, however, the 65RFE uses the shift pattern of the 545RFE; thus never using 2nd and 3rd gears in succession.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
improved torque converter

I want to point out I had a recall performed on my truck a couple of months ago and they gave me a loaner 2011 Hemi 5.7L truck and I did not like it. I like the 65RFE in my truck but I did not like the 545RFE 1500 comparing it to my own truck. Seeing how they are pretty much the same tranny I guess its the new Torque Converter in the 65RFE that I like then. The 65RFE seems to put the power down better with that new converter in a way the other one did not. (Translation the 65RFE to me does not have the noticeable fall on its face feel like the 545rfe does) That impresses me that a new part like that in a trans can do so much. My truck and the loaner both have 3.92s made sure I checked before returning the loaner a couple months or so ago.
Very interesting read thanks Hemi Joe for the links.

Last edited:

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to point out I had a recall performed on my truck a couple of months ago and they gave me a loaner 2011 Hemi 5.7L truck and I did not like it. I like the 65RFE in my truck but I did not like the 545RFE 1500 comparing it to my own truck. Seeing how they are pretty much the same tranny I guess its the new Torque Converter in the 65RFE that I like then. The 65RFE seems to put the power down better with that new converter in a way the other one did not. (Translation the 65RFE to me does not have the noticeable fall on its face feel like the 545rfe does) That impresses me that a new part like that in a trans can do so much. My truck and the loaner both have 3.92s made sure I checked before returning the loaner a couple months or so ago.

A TC can do a lot. That's why so many people are installing higher stall TC's in their trucks.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both

Loaner truck may have had 3.55 gears? Yours has 3.92s.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
A couple things that I am not sure about. First off, I am not sure how much I trust that article's knowledge considering it's excellent grammar, and seemingly questionable facts lol.

When Chaney, and I were discussing, he said that "6" was identical to D in his truck minus MDS being disabled, i.e. no 500 RPM blip. However you say that is not true, but this is like primary component that I wanted to try, and get the update for.

Also, I thought the 645RFE DID use 2', i.e. 3rd (1.5:1 in normal D mode), but the 545RFE did not. As far as the ERS mode goes, I am pretty positive that I have access to 2' for example, hitting an off ramp on the highway, I usually shift down to lose speed, and between 3-2 according to my ERS indicator, there is only a 350-500 (ish) RPM blip, then when I do it, a multi thousand blip to 1.

If Chaney was correct, the 0.67-0.75:1, 6-5 would result in the 500 RPM blip at high speeds I was mentioning, and then the 3(2')-2(2) would be the lower speed 500 RPM blip. I am not basing this on documentation, only my own personal experiences.

Maybe at some point in the near future I will have time to post a video with decent details about my experiences lol.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A couple things that I am not sure about. First off, I am not sure how much I trust that article's knowledge considering it's excellent grammar, and seemingly questionable facts lol.

When Chaney, and I were discussing, he said that "6" was identical to D in his truck minus MDS being disabled, i.e. no 500 RPM blip. However you say that is not true, but this is like primary component that I wanted to try, and get the update for.

Also, I thought the 645RFE DID use 2', i.e. 3rd (1.5:1 in normal D mode), but the 545RFE did not. As far as the ERS mode goes, I am pretty positive that I have access to 2' for example, hitting an off ramp on the highway, I usually shift down to lose speed, and between 3-2 according to my ERS indicator, there is only a 350-500 (ish) RPM blip, then when I do it, a multi thousand blip to 1.

If Chaney was correct, the 0.67-0.75:1, 6-5 would result in the 500 RPM blip at high speeds I was mentioning, and then the 3(2')-2(2) would be the lower speed 500 RPM blip. I am not basing this on documentation, only my own personal experiences.

Maybe at some point in the near future I will have time to post a video with decent details about my experiences lol.

First, it's 65rfe and 545rfe. Second, this is my 3rd truck in a row with the same trans. So, I've had two 545rfe's and now a 65rfe in my 2012. In drive they operate exactly the same. Also, when it comes to Chrysler knowledge, there is no better place to go than allpar. You can trust that article despite it's grammar. They have current and past Chrysler engineers that post on that website.

I don't know what more you want.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It just doesn't seem like I don't have access to 2' like the article claims. Also, I have now heard two conflicting stories about the way the 65RFE (sorry) operates, so I am trying to figure out where the truth actually lies.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just doesn't seem like I don't have access to 2' like the article claims. Also, I have now heard two conflicting stories about the way the 65RFE (sorry) operates, so I am trying to figure out where the truth actually lies.

Let's just get one thing straight, do you have a 2011 like your profile says? If so you have the 545rfe. The article doesn't claim you have access to 2'. The computer decides when to access it in certain situations, and it's during downshifts when the computer decides going into regular 2nd gear is too much of a drop. You cannot access it manually. I wouldn't worry about it, and I wouldn't go hunting for it, it's a weak point in these transmissions along with 4th. Once again, the only difference between your transmission and mine (besides the supposed TC improvement), is I can access 2' manually and you can't. In regular drive mode the two transmission's act exactly the same.

AndreB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can I use a 65rfe from a 12 in my 09 Ram that had a 545rfe ? Any information would be awesome thanks

Nbyauto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can I use a 65rfe from a 12 in my 09 Ram that had a 545rfe ? Any information would be awesome thanks

I'd love to know the answer also! I'm going to pick up one that comes with an engine I'm buying this weekend.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd love to know the answer also! I'm going to pick up one that comes with an engine I'm buying this weekend.
Yes you can. The transmission's are identical except for a revised torque converter so everything will bolt up and work properly.